LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. whats a good longboard?

hey guys just looking for some advise.. i want to buy a new long board but i dont know to much about them. my boy let me ride some super oldschool 9 foooter and it was so fun for smaller stuff so i gotta have one. any suggestions. even size wise im not to sure what to get im 6' 190lbs.
    thanks

Images
    I am 6' and 175lbs and my board is 9'6", with a cutaway fin for easier turning. If I could change anything, I'd take it down to like 9'-9'2" just to make maneuvering a little easier. They're fun in the smaller stuff, but they can also handle up to the head high range too. On the East coast, longboards deserve a spot in your quiver in my opinion. Fishes are fun too, but they can't completely replace the longboard for small stuff.

3. Quote Originally Posted by speedfreaksdvd View Post
    hey guys just looking for some advise.. i want to buy a new long board but i dont know to much about them. my boy let me ride some super oldschool 9 foooter and it was so fun for smaller stuff so i gotta have one. any suggestions. even size wise im not to sure what to get im 6' 190lbs.
    thanks

Hey speedfreakdvd... I hope you don't mind me asking this, but if you are trying to find the right size, fin set up, width, length, noserider or performance oriented, etc... why go "new"?

Why does it have to be new?

Then if it's the wrong board for ya then you are stuck selling a new board?

My .02 would be to check craigs list or local surf forums/garage sales, etc. and find some nice used long boards to screw around with. Hell, this time of the year when most guys aren't thinking about their longboards you can probably find a steal or two. Pick up a nice glider for $250 or $300 and see if that's what your looking for, if you decide that that type of setup wasn't the feeling you were looking for it's not a huge loss. Find another kind, make the hunt for one and then put that one that turned out wrong for you back up for sale. Plan on limiting your search to under $350 or $400 if you want. Keep buying and selling them until you find that longboard that fits you. Then you can go have one shaped for you that will fit you best. Dont be iin such a hurry to buy new. There is no rush, man.
    Not only will you be able to dial in what youi want much better than relying on others in a forum, you and your son can have the fun of picking up and trying all kinds of different styles and shapes... for cheap.

Just a different way of looking at it.

4. very good point with the new board idea. my only problem is when i buy surfboards i never want to sell them. i already have to many lol

5. Believe me, I understand what you mean about the collection. I'm not sure if I could ever say I have "too many" boards though... I don't think that could happen. My wife would agree with you but then again she gets bummed every time I sell one or give one away... she knows my collection almost as good as I do.

But I regress... buying a longboard is a personal thing I found. Just me personally. It's not like jumping on a standard thruster. So many variables that you might want to go through.

I'm still on that longboard hunt. I've tried a few, borrowed a few, bought a few, and sold em all. I can't find that longboard that makes me happy yet. I think I find that one on a good session, then I take it out again and it lost its luster. Maybe I just like the change.

It's just also kinda cool to try so many boards and you are also keeping a small footprint. Remember the whole reduce, reuse, and recylce.

There are so many boards out there by so many shapers, why not date instead of marry?

Images
    Like he said, check Craigs List... I check religiously for surfboards, and there have been a bunch of brand new beer logo boards (like hang in the bars) shaped by Peter Benjamin for $200-250. It's a longboard, I personally wouldnt really care if it had a beer logo... CL is where I found my perfect longboard... a 8'6" Herbie Fletcher stepdeck in great condition for $200, I dont use it much, but she turns on a dime like a shortboard. Good luck .

7. heres one i found its a challenger 9'6'' the guy says its new he wants 425 obo..

8. the one thng i can def say i want to do is ride the nose.. never done it but looks so fun.. how big of a board do you need to rock the nose.

Images
    That's a nice board. I would ask for closer pictures though. Riding the nose is more about the fin/fin placement and your position on the wave. If that board is in good shape, that is a nice deal.

challenger? aren't they chinese?