close ad [x]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i'm thinking about a longboard for next spring/summer, but really have no idea where to start. i've been riding shortboards since i started surfing and as much as i ****ing despise guys sitting way outside picking everything off, i do think it would be fun to ride on a waist high day. noseriding and just walking the deck looks really fun also. im' 5'9 like 150lbs, any suggestions for some specs?

Man if you guys were from down here I could take you a few places that have sick sick deal right now.

3. yea thats what im starting to think.. i like that "egg roll special''

WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfreaksdvd View Post
    the one thng i can def say i want to do is ride the nose.. never done it but looks so fun.. how big of a board do you need to rock the nose.
    if you're looking for a board to walk on, stability on the wave is your main concern. a singlefin is the best for cross-stepping. it holds much much better than a trifin setup because a trifin breaks up the water and doesn't draw a clean stable line through the wave like a singlefin can. another key feature for noseriding is rocker. get it flat. maybe a bit of concave in the nose, but the less rocker, the more stable. if you're just getting starting longboarding, the wider the nose the better. a wide nose, flat rocker singlefin that's above 9'6" is perfect to start walking on.

what i hate more than anything is when people buy longboards to turn. don't do that. if you want to turn, buy a 6'0". longboards are not for ripping, they're for flowing. besides, a nice long noseride followed by a long drawn out cutback on a heavy log is one of the most stylish things in surfing, as opposed to shortboard style snaps and pumps on a 9'0".

5. check this board out http://www.solidsurfco.com/Home.html LHP BOARD

6. Quote Originally Posted by speedfreaksdvd View Post
    check this board out http://www.solidsurfco.com/Home.html LHP BOARD

I thought you wanted to nose ride?
    That board you posted is a "modern HP" board made for short boarding on a longboard.... ehhh. Oh, and I wouldn't ever want FCS for anything but sidebites on a lb, in my humble opinion. I need to move around my center fin. Even on my shortboards. I like to dial it in basedon the conditions. Unless it's a board that I'm more than familiar with, then I order them glassed in.

Conway had great advise, btw...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    if you're looking for a board to walk on, stability on the wave is your main concern. a singlefin is the best for cross-stepping. it holds much much better than a trifin setup because a trifin breaks up the water and doesn't draw a clean stable line through the wave like a singlefin can. another key feature for noseriding is rocker. get it flat. maybe a bit of concave in the nose, but the less rocker, the more stable. if you're just getting starting longboarding, the wider the nose the better. a wide nose, flat rocker singlefin that's above 9'6" is perfect to start walking on.

what i hate more than anything is when people buy longboards to turn. don't do that. if you want to turn, buy a 6'0". longboards are not for ripping, they're for flowing. besides, a nice long noseride followed by a long drawn out cutback on a heavy log is one of the most stylish things in surfing, as opposed to shortboard style snaps and pumps on a 9'0".
    Amen!!!!!!

8. thank you guys for all the good advise.

I have a 9'5" noserider and a 9' performance board for sale if you're interested.

If it is one of the Challenger boards from San Diego it could be hand shaped. I guess a lot of shapers are into the punch out boards. Can't tell from pics. Does any one know if some of the Challenger boards are from China?

Place this code at the end of your tag: