LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i'm thinking about a longboard for next spring/summer, but really have no idea where to start. i've been riding shortboards since i started surfing and as much as i ****ing despise guys sitting way outside picking everything off, i do think it would be fun to ride on a waist high day. noseriding and just walking the deck looks really fun also. im' 5'9 like 150lbs, any suggestions for some specs?

Man if you guys were from down here I could take you a few places that have sick sick deal right now.

3. yea thats what im starting to think.. i like that "egg roll special''

WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfreaksdvd View Post
    the one thng i can def say i want to do is ride the nose.. never done it but looks so fun.. how big of a board do you need to rock the nose.
    if you're looking for a board to walk on, stability on the wave is your main concern. a singlefin is the best for cross-stepping. it holds much much better than a trifin setup because a trifin breaks up the water and doesn't draw a clean stable line through the wave like a singlefin can. another key feature for noseriding is rocker. get it flat. maybe a bit of concave in the nose, but the less rocker, the more stable. if you're just getting starting longboarding, the wider the nose the better. a wide nose, flat rocker singlefin that's above 9'6" is perfect to start walking on.

what i hate more than anything is when people buy longboards to turn. don't do that. if you want to turn, buy a 6'0". longboards are not for ripping, they're for flowing. besides, a nice long noseride followed by a long drawn out cutback on a heavy log is one of the most stylish things in surfing, as opposed to shortboard style snaps and pumps on a 9'0".

5. check this board out http://www.solidsurfco.com/Home.html LHP BOARD

6. Quote Originally Posted by speedfreaksdvd View Post
    check this board out http://www.solidsurfco.com/Home.html LHP BOARD

I thought you wanted to nose ride?
    That board you posted is a "modern HP" board made for short boarding on a longboard.... ehhh. Oh, and I wouldn't ever want FCS for anything but sidebites on a lb, in my humble opinion. I need to move around my center fin. Even on my shortboards. I like to dial it in basedon the conditions. Unless it's a board that I'm more than familiar with, then I order them glassed in.

Conway had great advise, btw...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    if you're looking for a board to walk on, stability on the wave is your main concern. a singlefin is the best for cross-stepping. it holds much much better than a trifin setup because a trifin breaks up the water and doesn't draw a clean stable line through the wave like a singlefin can. another key feature for noseriding is rocker. get it flat. maybe a bit of concave in the nose, but the less rocker, the more stable. if you're just getting starting longboarding, the wider the nose the better. a wide nose, flat rocker singlefin that's above 9'6" is perfect to start walking on.

what i hate more than anything is when people buy longboards to turn. don't do that. if you want to turn, buy a 6'0". longboards are not for ripping, they're for flowing. besides, a nice long noseride followed by a long drawn out cutback on a heavy log is one of the most stylish things in surfing, as opposed to shortboard style snaps and pumps on a 9'0".
    Amen!!!!!!

8. thank you guys for all the good advise.

I have a 9'5" noserider and a 9' performance board for sale if you're interested.

If it is one of the Challenger boards from San Diego it could be hand shaped. I guess a lot of shapers are into the punch out boards. Can't tell from pics. Does any one know if some of the Challenger boards are from China?