LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Old School...

Old School...

From The New York Times:

Ancient Surfboard Style Is Finding New Devotees

It takes some getting used to, but the traditional Hawaiian flat-tailed wooden alaia offers surfers “magical” chances to commune with waves and history.

http://s.nyt.com/u/iGV

pretty cool. that's what they ride in 'the present'. But check out that one pic - he's totally dropping in on some poor bloke. he's all for being a soul surfer and 'communing' with the ocean, just so long as he can still take any wave he wants without any respect haha!

Images

Thanks for the link

The short video attached to it is fun as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mls1hhpPJEA

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davincimoon View Post
    the traditional Hawaiian flat-tailed wooden alaia offers surfers “magical” chances to commune with waves and history.

http://s.nyt.com/u/iGV
    sweet...im tired of riding waves and ready to start communing with them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by capesurfer View Post
    pretty cool. that's what they ride in 'the present'. But check out that one pic - he's totally dropping in on some poor bloke. he's all for being a soul surfer and 'communing' with the ocean, just so long as he can still take any wave he wants without any respect haha!
    Exactly what I was thinking! Not to mention, his wetsuit is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    sweet...im tired of riding waves and ready to start communing with them.
    funny

And I didn't catch that in the picture but dude totally dropped in, with a hundred pound wooden unleashed board none the less Still though I would like to try it, and would bet snowboarders would be more stoked by said style.

Also I found it funny that in the article the writer talks about how the boards are cheaper than their contemporary counterparts but then at the end of story quotes the prices around 600. This is cheaper?

7. Quote Originally Posted by davincimoon View Post
    funny

And I didn't catch that in the picture but dude totally dropped in, with a hundred pound wooden unleashed board none the less Still though I would like to try it, and would bet snowboarders would be more stoked by said style.

Also I found it funny that in the article the writer talks about how the boards are cheaper than their contemporary counterparts but then at the end of story quotes the prices around 600. This is cheaper?
    They are cheaper.... if you do it yourself. No major chemical smells coming from your garage. Just buy some cheap wood for your first one, glue, clamp up, outline, rough cut, plane, sand, and waterproof it with some linseed oil. Plenty of directions online. You can build one for under $100. Just remember to go long... and skinnier than you think. You can't mess up too bad as long as you go long because you can always fine tune the shape later (it's not like you need to skin the glass off to refine it... just shave and add more oils. Plenty of step by step directions available on Swaylocks if you search.

I started with hand planes (for body surfing), now I'm working on a pineapple platter, then I start my alaia once I got the pineapple platter wired. It's fun and not too toxic (although I've been glassing up my hand planes to make them more "aesthetically pleasing"

one thing is for certain, it definitely looks like a lot of fun. wonder if they'd let us do it over the summer...