LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: quick question

Besides all the math and inches I feel you have to look at your style of surfing.Where you are now and where you wanna take it.Do you want to hit the lip and shread or you just happy crusing down the line making a few cuts.Do you want a board that you can do some airs or do you want some more paddle power.Maybe its a combo of all the above.Bottom line is do some research on boards and what their capable of doing and match it to your size and style.

Agreed like I said I didn't ever use the formula to buy boards all my favorite boards just happen to fit the formula.

mick fannings go to dimensions come out to about a 18.5
    jordy smith comes out to about a 13 or so.
    slaters whip 18.5

Considering how much better these guys are than any of us and it is only 1.5 low I would say going way way low on a standard shortboard you better be able to paddle like jordy.

Luke Egan 18.2
    occy 18.7
    Andy Irons 18.4
    Parko 18.87
    Shane Dorian 19.0
    Kalani Robb 17.9
    Taj 17.8

based on these dims
    Name Height Weight Dimensions

Luke Egan 5′11″ 198lb 6′4″ x 19″ x 2 1/2″
    Mark Occhilupo 5′9″ 176lb 6′3″ x 18 3/4″ x 2 3/8″
    Andy Irons 6′0″ 165lb 6′2″ x 18 1/4″ x 2 1/4″
    Joel Parkinson 5′11″ 161lb 6′2″ x 18 1/4″ x 2 1/4″
    Shane Dorian 5′9″ 155lb 6′0″ x 18 1/4″ x 2 1/4″
    Kalani Robb 5′9″ 155lb 6′0″ x 18 1/4″ x 2 1/8″
    Taj Burrows 5′9″ 150lb 5′11″ x 17 3/4 x 2 1/8″

So if you can out paddle these guys go for a 17 or 18

right off the ...Lost site:

The Rocket
    effectively ridden 4" to 8" shorter, 1/8" thinner, and just slightly wider than your normal short board without sacrificing any of the carve or drive

so, if you've got a normal short board you're comfortable with, go with their suggestions.
    If not, adjust accordingly.

I just checked my board 6'4"x19x2.125/ 160 (150+10 for rubber) = 19.18. I definitely suck, but it kind of feels good knowing that I'm able to at least get up, make drops, and go down the line a little bit on a board that's "too small" for me.

I also have a retro fish which comes out to 27 (29.5 w/o rubber). This system confirms what I felt about both boards. I think something in between, but a little closer to my shortboard, would be about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Driftingalong View Post
    right off the ...Lost site:

The Rocket
    effectively ridden 4" to 8" shorter, 1/8" thinner, and just slightly wider than your normal short board without sacrificing any of the carve or drive

so, if you've got a normal short board you're comfortable with, go with their suggestions.
    If not, adjust accordingly.
    His short is a 6'6 and keep in mind when lost says this they are not counting on your typical east coast shorty it isnt a squash with fuller rails they are talking about your board for shoulder to head high. he would be 10 inches shorter a little narrower (they say to go up in width) and about the same thickness. I am fairly certain it will be over 19 inches wide and over 2 3/8s thick maybe thicker. He is saying it is picky which tells me he should look elsewhere on boards. Because the nx1 at a 6'6 I could ride.
    Last edited by chrisd; Dec 10, 2009 at 06:07 PM.

ya my 6'6 is my most fun board....but lately ive been trying to step down to the 6'0....its a really sweet smooth board but i think it needs a fuller nose. and this has nothing to do with it but on the next board im goin with the weird half moon tail!

agreed the halfmoon or the bat have some strange attraction for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    agreed the halfmoon or the bat have some strange attraction for me.
    That is a pretty good formula but I'm not sure it is completely on point. Definitely good for a ball park estimate but materials come in to play also different poly foams, epoxy or polyester resin, and fiberglass...or carbon fiber if you have money. For example a backyard shorebreak board I made I used some heavy duty 12 ounce cloth and some good epoxy resin and she's about 6'0x20x2.2 and it feels like a 9'0 manufactured board. Still floats very well though.

Also resin application is a factor, my friend was telling me about the new pro boards are being vacuum sealed for excess resin for ultimate weight reduction. Maybe I'll do some research and get back to you guys.