LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What size thruster are you on?

I am just curious where I stand and what others may be riding.
    I am 5'9 160lbs, and I go between 6'1 and 6'2 both 18 1/4 x 2 1/4. I have a small wave thruster that is a 5'7 x 19 1/2 x 2 1/4 that has become my favorite board. It rips in most conditions. It has me thinking I want to go to a 5'10 or 5'11 standard thruster. prob 5'10 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4. Like I said just curious to see what other people are on, specially those with similar weight and height.

im 5'7 145lb and ride a 5'10x18x2 um (everyday board), 5'10x18x2 1/8 Double, and a 5'11x18x2 21-13, and a 5'3x18.5x2 1/4 double that is just a board from when i was real young but i use it still for the shorebreak in the summer. I'm looking to go shorter and wider and would love to get either a AL Merrick pod or a ...lost rocket around 5'4 or 5'5. Anyone see the new merrick dumpster diver? pretty ugly but would like to try it out

favorite thruster is a 6'8 al merrick flyer. Need to get another one.

Dane's dumpster diver shares the same specs as my Chemistry Boombastik. 5'7x 19 1/2 x 2 1/4. Dumpster is like 2 3/8 though. Similar shape as well cept that the boombastik is thicker in the tail and a thumb tail. I am really into these short stubby boards. they move like a fish but tear like a standard thruster. I got the board to have a board for more skate influenced surfing. Ollies easily because it is so light and small.

Images
    I rember Chrisd had a formula to figure out what board you ride according your weight and size . Maybe Chrisd can shoot you a pm of post it up here it could be useful to you situation

I would be careful going a narrow as you are maybe a 5'9 by 19 by 2 3/8 I dont know the trend seems to be towards shorter and wider.

Yeah I ran those numbers when he posted the formula. Most of my boards ran in the 17 to 19 range without wetsuit weight. I think that formula is pretty spot on give or take. I always fell like most boards float me great. I am not worried bout dropping size and loosing float, specially 2 inches in length.

Oh and formula matt is length(in inches)xwidthxthickness divided by your weight.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I would be careful going a narrow as you are maybe a 5'9 by 19 by 2 3/8 I dont know the trend seems to be towards shorter and wider.
    I never mind going wider, 2 1/4 or 2 5/16 is as thick as I will go though. Being 5'9 myself getting on a standard 5'9 as my standard thruster seems awesome. I think 5'10 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/4 might be the magic numbers. I honestly wish I ordered my 5'7 Boombastik at 19 even instead of 19 1/2. Its just too wide. though it floats amazing with a 5/4/3 on.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Oh and formula matt is length(in inches)xwidthxthickness divided by your weight.
    Yeah I didnt rember where to find it . Thanks for posting it up again. Hopefully oneday I will get a shortboard that I can use that formula on .