LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Kooks

Im no kook and Im not exactly Dane Reynolds, but when it comes to winter condition I kook it up sometimes. The cold kills my endurance with a quickness. Takes me 3x longer to paddle out but once I catch a wave Im good for half an hour until Im cold again and I begin to look like an idiot once more.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by VBVA View Post
    Im no kook and Im not exactly Dane Reynolds, but when it comes to winter condition I kook it up sometimes. The cold kills my endurance with a quickness. Takes me 3x longer to paddle out but once I catch a wave Im good for half an hour until Im cold again and I begin to look like an idiot once more.
    Well said!

Been there, totally stoked paddling out into those frigid, perfect peeling winter waves, then that first duck dive mysteriously kooks me out. However, after making it out sometimes - yada, yada, yada - the cycle continues.

...and yes for those Seinfeld fans, I just yada yada'd past the best part...

Images
    whatever dude. if you suited up and went out yesterday, you're not a kook. everybody wants to judge everybody. lets just ride waves, huh?

saw plenty of kooks Sunday. Probably like previous posters said, the availability of cheaper winter suits.

Quote Originally Posted by grande gallo View Post
    whatever dude. if you suited up and went out yesterday, you're not a kook. everybody wants to judge everybody. lets just ride waves, huh?

Kinda hard to 'just ride waves' when you have people dropping in on you or floundering to get out right in the prime take off spot and then bailing off their tanker board when a wave is about to crash on them.

Images
    I understand that some of the people out yesterday weren't kooks and that the cold makes things even harder, but when I see someone floundering in the white wash while everyone else is paddling along the jetty - I don't believe they're experienced. I just can't believe people drop that much cash just to temp fate. I should have done them a favor and offered them some money for their suit!

Images
    I actually thought the paddle out wasn't bad at all. The rip pulled me straight out. Maybe a few more ducks than normal...but getting out was not an issue. Oh and those 4-5 second shacks.

i surfed a few spots yesterday in mon. cty. def well overhead and heavy. first paddle out was a mad dash but made it pretty easily. the second one was a bit more difficult. current was a pain yesterday for sure.

Where I was there was a nice rip to take you out and put you right in the perfect take off zone. But....the aforementioned kooks didn't have the experience to know that so they felt it necessary to paddle out right in front of us.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    But....the aforementioned kooks didn't have the experience to know that so they felt it necessary to paddle out right in front of us.
    That's my point. If you're not riding the rip or up the jetty, you can't be too experienced. Only real kooks would risk drowning and/or being drilled in the head. I guess I'm just salty that they had an awesome new suit while I was in a one-time loaner.