LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

how warm is warm

So i have a question for all you hardcore easterners... im from san diego born and raised, and im moving to maine next year (portland).
    Im curious, even with a 6/5/4 boots hood gloves and thermals underneath etc.. are you actually ever warm? or is it just a coldness thats tolerable for an hour or so? i know wind chill plays a big part as well as other things but if you could give me some general feedback id appreciate it.
    Im not a fool i know its gonna be freakin cold and ill surely incur a barrage of "cali" jokes but ive surfed for a few decades in both warm and chilly (central cal) water. but im really excited to experience "exotic" albeit fickle Nor Eastern surf.
    thanks.

don't do it.

Images
    I can can stay out for about 3-4 hours in my 5/4/3 with gloves , boots and a longsleeve thermal layer. tolerance to cold does affect how long can one can stay out . Usually 3-4 hours like is said is my limit as thats when I usually start to feel a chill in my suit

in ny i surf with a really good 5/4/3 and 7mm mitts/boots and can stay in as long as my arms warrant.. i think maine is a whole different animal though.. i don't know about wearing thermals underneath. maybe pick up one of those quik cypher heated vests. they look pretty nice to give you an extra boost when you need it.

but like i said ny can't really be compared to maine imo

best way to stay warm is stay active. catch as many waves as you can and stay moving.. if you sit you get cold

cold

cold is all mental ive stayed in 4 hours in november with a 4/3 and no hood or boots or gloves, but after pretty much only surfing in new england you just get used to the temp.

Ive surfed in ny with a 4/3, thermal layer, hood, 7mm boots and 5mm gloves, and stayed in for 3 hours in 37 degree water. So im guessing that a 6/5/4 should probably enough to keep you warm in maine. When you have good equipment, the limiting factor in cold and windy weather is usually your face, so pack a tube of vaseline when you go to maine.

Quote Originally Posted by aslowsurfer View Post
    cold is all mental ive stayed in 4 hours in november with a 4/3 and no hood or boots or gloves, but after pretty much only surfing in new england you just get used to the temp.

So what?? November is no real indication of how cold it really gets here in NY. I've gone in the h2o in november in just a 4/3 plenty of times, thats not going to get anyone thinking its not as bad as it really is. No doubt it gets cold here in NY, with water temps dipping into the mid 30s in feb-march, but Maine is definitely a different ballpark. I don't think its the difference in water temps, because they are all in the 30s at that time of the year, but more along the lines of more intense wind chills and blizzard like conditions in northern New England.

ok first of all wcec- dont do it! you are probally going to end up skiing/snowboarding more than surfing in the winter but then again maybe not. Born in jersey and live in san diego last 5 years. Lets paint the picture it is Febuary, it is 18 degrees outside with the wind chill, the water is 37, the waves are chest to head high from a solid nor'easter. Yes you need a 6/5/4, yes you need 7 mil booties yes get the mitten 6 mils, not the 5 mil gloves. Yes you need to grow your chest hair and beard out. Hair is 4x more insulating than fat. 5 mil gloves are fine when it is not 18 degrees outside with 20 mile an hour offshore winds and no sun. Yes your face will be numb and yes your hands and feet will start to get colder after an hour or so. Yes there will be about 6 other guys out and you will have one of the best sessions of your life. Yes there will not be waves again until March. Good luck!