LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Maine is some of the coldest water in the world! The northern new england coastline is completely cut off from the Warm Gulf Stream, that takes a N/NE turn into the Canadian Maratimes.

Will definitely be a shock for a California transplant. But, you are going to love the relatively uncrowded waters!

at first u'll x-perience an initial "shock" in cold water...mostly the duckdiving/ur face. it'll hit u like nuthin' u've x-perienced b4. but u'll warm up fast. i can't emphasize enuff tho...pleaze, 6/5/4 wetsuit, 7mm booteeyz, 5mil gluvez. u'll thank mee after ur sesshion. 2day'z technology in rubber iz KRAYZZZZZZZZEEEEEY!! vereey flexible/warm. and X-pensive!

but there'z nuthin' 2 fear about cold water once u git suited up...it's usualleey thu suiting up and gittin' owt that i fear most...if it's a nice day (ie. 30-40degreez/no wind, it's no big deal).

lastleey, i can't agree with Surfsolo...DON'T DOO IT! we're headin owt ur way soon, which iz logical...y in thu hell wood ne1 moove 2 thu east coast, let alone maine!?

Quote Originally Posted by fisurf View Post
    Ive surfed in ny with a 4/3, thermal layer, hood, 7mm boots and 5mm gloves, and stayed in for 3 hours in 37 degree water. So im guessing that a 6/5/4 should probably enough to keep you warm in maine. When you have good equipment, the limiting factor in cold and windy weather is usually your face, so pack a tube of vaseline when you go to maine.
    do not use vaseline! it breaks down neoprene..

Quote Originally Posted by swell5 View Post
    do not use vaseline! it breaks down neoprene..
    that's what she said

5. dont listen to kman....guys an illiterate assclown

Quote Originally Posted by aslowsurfer View Post
    cold is all mental ive stayed in 4 hours in november with a 4/3 and no hood or boots or gloves, but after pretty much only surfing in new england you just get used to the temp.

So what?? November is no real indication of how cold it really gets here in NY. I've gone in the h2o in november in just a 4/3 plenty of times, thats not going to get anyone thinking its not as bad as it really is. No doubt it gets cold here in NY, with water temps dipping into the mid 30s in feb-march, but Maine is definitely a different ballpark. I don't think its the difference in water temps, because they are all in the 30s at that time of the year, but more along the lines of more intense wind chills and blizzard like conditions in northern New England.

Quote Originally Posted by captblueshorts View Post
    dont listen to kman....guys an illiterate assclown
    ha i second that

and in nov. the water is still relatively warm in ny a 4/3 might b too much sometimes

8. the water might be relatively warm in november, but the weather conditions are 'severe' since most of our waves come from storms that bring cold rain and winds to coastal areas

hurricane season doesn't end til dec.

Images

How cold

I keep a bottle of tequila in the car. When I'm done surfing I take a healthy swig of the catcus juice and I am warm again. In Maine Scotch or Conganc might work a little better.