Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Surfboard

54 65.06%
  • Bodyboard

29 34.94%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Images
    for both sides of the story - it is impossible to make such comparisons and judgments unless you went through the process of progressive riding on both surfboards and bodyboards. those who have are entitled to opinions. those who have not are merely jumping to conclusions.

it is like asking the vegetarian, who has never eaten meat - which is better, steak or tofu.
    Last edited by Swellinfo; Jan 7, 2010 at 08:47 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by firewirerider View Post
    please understand that all surfers learned to boogie before we stood up, so no loss of respect, but I don't think there is not much of an argument to be made of which is harder.
    However, if your going to tell me that you got "bored" of surfing and went back to da boogie, then I MUST question your reason. Did it frustrate you and give up? Was the equipment too expensive? The drive too far and have no time to learn? In any case, your on my side as long as you respect the lineup.
    Going from a bodyboard to a surfboard isn't part of any wave rider evolution. So u can't say boogie boardind is the first stepping stone. While I surfed, I bodyboarded at the same time. I live 5 miles from the beach and parents that hooked me ip with all the gear I needed. I just had more fun laying down, want to what it feels like to go full speed and smack the lip of a 8ft wave and launch it. Feels better thank a week old nut! As for the learning curve, I think it depends on the rider, u see, I skate and snowboard so I have the balance and the flow, plus I ride dropknee a lot so the pop up would be a big deal not to mention I surfed off and on for a few years.

I will be politically correct and say everything is fun. If I was gonna lay down it would be on a Mat no contest, next would be a handboard. To me a body board is at best another tool to ride waves. When it's too big and critical a body board is the best tool for the job since you would snap your surfboard and your neck trying to surf Waimea shorbreak etc. But that said I have always thought of it this way. If you took two people to Pipeline, each of equal physical condition, each had never ridden a wave. One was gonna be trained by Kelly Slater in an hour (no water time just talking) how to catch a wave and get barreled. The other was to be trained by the worlds top bodyboarder in the same way aiming for the same results. Which one has the best chance to pull it off? I think we all know that one might actually die, and one has at least a small chance of success. Thats not saying either would be easy but one is definately way harder. It always seems like the bodyboarders are the insulted ones in these posts, if anything it's way more insulting to the surfers camparing the two. But then again most surfers don't care.
    Last edited by Zippy; Jan 7, 2010 at 10:26 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseySponge View Post
    I just had more fun laying down, want to what it feels like to go full speed and smack the lip of a 8ft wave and launch it.
    i'm not buying it, but go nuts man.

Images
    I dont see what the big deal is why be limited to one form of wave riding when you can use multiple forms have fun on days when you can surf and pullout a set of handplane, bodyboard or Mat and ride want you wouldnt normally ride on a surfboard

A well rounded Waterman does it all or has atleast tried differnt forms of wave riding

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    I dont see what the big deal is why be limited to one form of wave riding when you can use multiple forms have fun on days when you can surf and pullout a set of handplane, bodyboard or Mat and ride want you wouldnt normally ride on a surfboard

A well rounded Waterman does it all or has atleast tried differnt forms of wave riding
    ...agreed...

Images
    Stand out, not Up.

8. I don't think it was the bodyboarders who brought up which technique is harder or has a harder learning curve. Anyway we are all after that same feeling. It's not about what u ride but the wave u caught and how u felt after. I just like to talk smack it's fun! !!!E A G L E S!!!! What's up with the east coast flatness! Where's the swell...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    This thread is making me HATE body boarders....i'm gonna drop in on every body boarder just for the hell of it from this point forward.
    Pure kook-a-doodle-doo words.

You need to re-find your soul.

Images
    Don't mince my words sonny boy.