LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    middle of august after a summer class, my lifeguard buddy told me he would tech me to surf. he gave me no direction whatsoever and he took me out on his 9'0 or 9'2 robert august. it was a really ****ty and foggy day. you could barely see 15 feet in front of you, i got worked as i tried to get out and when i did get out i ended up switching the board with his boss for a foam board. he told me take any wave. so i waited a few waves paddle and got up my first try. he and his boss were in awe that that even happened and i was soooo sooo stoked i threw up a shaka instantly and unconciously. in the middle of the wave i said to myself "holy **** im actually surfing"

Images
    earliest i can remember was summer of 80' I was 3 my dad would push me into the foam on a soft morey bodyboard (moreyboogy at the time) by time I was 5 he had me standing up on the thing, been on a board ever since.

First Surfing Experience

I was five years old
    It was summer
    My Dad shaped a Board for me

Images
    4 or 5 years old, a canvas raft rental at Sandy Hook!!

Quote Originally Posted by firewirerider View Post
    4 or 5 years old, a canvas raft rental at Sandy Hook!!
    Ha, I was 10 and my dad rented me one of those old blue & yellow rafts, but @ Island Beach SP. It was probably only waist high, but it felt like 2OH to me. Ate a ton of sand that day, had a blast, rode all day, hooked ever since. Good memories...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DJFresh View Post
    Ha, I was 10 and my dad rented me one of those old blue & yellow rafts, but @ Island Beach SP. It was probably only waist high, but it felt like 2OH to me. Ate a ton of sand that day, had a blast, rode all day, hooked ever since. Good memories...
    lol, i remember the blue and yellow rafts all lined up waiting to be rented. At the time i had no idea what surfing was, but the instinct was clearly there to ride waves. I can remember sitting on the raft waiting for sets to come through too.

Tofino, Vancouver Island, July 20th, 2003.

I remember the date clearly, because it was my birthday. We have family outside of Vancouver and we spent a few days camping on Vancouver Island. The place is a rainforest and stunning. The beaches are surrounded by huge dense cedar forests. We rented suits and softboards, probably a 9 footer and went with a group for a lesson. Knowing what I know now (because at the time I had no idea) that day the winds were probably cross/offshore, knee to waist and for summer standards, a good day. After a few nose dives, I learned how to position myself on the board properly when paddling and bam, wave count numero uno! Rode white water all day and was frothing all day.

It was such a special first surfing experience in such a wild surfing environment. Chilly water, around 55. Thanks to my Dad for taking me out. I will go back someday, no doubt.

No it was a real board-last person I saw on a raft was eaten by Jaws