LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    What is surfing feel like to you?

    I thought it would be cool to describe surfing and the feeling you get from it. For me it is the sensation of not planning ahead and just having to paddle into something that powerful. I love the fact that you are part of nature and something big that you wouldn't get in skateboarding. Finally, if they build a wave pool with 200 yard head high lefts perfectly clean and i could surf that for life or the ocean with knee-high slop i would turn that down to be able to surf the ocean.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Monmouth County.
    Posts
    573
    Images
    171
    What is surfing feel like to me:
    i personally like sitting out there with only a couple people you know, only thinking about what wave to take and if your going to get destroyed or get shacked, either way its all fun for me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wildwood ,Nj
    Posts
    3,091
    Images
    5
    What surfing feels like to me.

    Well I think it harnessing a waves energy in to a positive action but in the same time not having any control over what the waves is doing. Surfing is very euphoric to me . After a seesion I feel like a have a sense of balance

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    What surfing feels like to me.

    Well I think it harnessing a waves energy in to a positive action but in the same time not having any control over what the waves is doing. Surfing is very euphoric to me . After a seesion I feel like a have a sense of balance
    Your a longboarder though so you probally get a different feeling than a shortboarder. i mean longboarders are blending in and surfing with the wave while shortboarders take an aggressive approach

  5. #5
    Surfing allows me to have conversations with fellow surfers, thus helping me to master the english language.

    On a more serious note, to be honest, I haven't found out what surfing is to me. I've been at it for a mere 4-5 years so my full surfing abilities have yet to develop. Therefore, I am still learning every day.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wildwood ,Nj
    Posts
    3,091
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by surfde View Post
    Your a longboarder though so you probally get a different feeling than a shortboarder. i mean longboarders are blending in and surfing with the wave while shortboarders take an aggressive approach
    Doesnt matter what board you ride the object of surfing is to do manuvers to say in the part of the wave that has all the foward momentum.

    Doing turns , Stalls,cutbacks , Noesrides whatever.

    I have a shortboard but its not a fancey Quad or whatever the fad is now.

    I enjoy rideing my shortboard as much as my longboards . I try to be versitile as my wallet will allow me

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Doesnt matter what board you ride the object of surfing is to do manuvers to say in the part of the wave that has all the foward momentum.

    Doing turns , Stalls,cutbacks , Noesrides whatever.

    I have a shortboard but its not a fancey Quad or whatever the fad is now.

    I enjoy rideing my shortboard as much as my longboards . I try to be versitile as my wallet will allow me
    i'm not trying to rip on longboarders or anything i just feel that the board gives to the whole feel of surfing. i do not have a quad in my quiver and i mainly ride thrusters. but i feel that i could go on for pages about all of the different things that i feel surfing while i cant even explain some.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wildwood ,Nj
    Posts
    3,091
    Images
    5
    longboarding has its own type flow to it . It incorporates alot of foot work and knowing where to be on the board . Shortboarding may not have alot of foot work invovled but body placement and knowing how to move your body and what foot to put your weight on is key .

    Two different types of surfing but one thing you can say they both are is surfing

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Monmouth County
    Posts
    173
    Images
    8
    To me surfing is more than just being on the wave. I enjoy every single aspect of the sport - from pre-session stretches, to watching the surf to locate a good paddle out spot, to timing the sets on the paddle out, to the thrill of being in the lineup and watching the rollers come in when it's going off, to a well executed duck dive when a massive lip is about to snap you in half...and then there is the actually feeling I get when riding the wave which can not really be compared to anything else.The actual act of surfing a wave is most fun to me when I am racing down the line on a wall or getting covered up. I've never been one to try and pull airs or shred the waves to pieces; I prefer to just flow with the wave, get some speed, and do some nice smooth turns up and down the face with the occasional cutback. Truly, the rush comes from being one with the ocean's energy...most people who don't surf think that's some hippie **** (maybe it is)...but every wave rider knows what I'm talking about..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Howell
    Posts
    127
    Images
    10
    for me, surfing is best described by one word; peace. it may sound like a bit of a cliche, but nothing clears your mind and makes you feel better than cruising down a nice long line. i feel connected, almost feeling part of the most powerful thing on the earth; the ocean. it is truly awe inspiring if you think about it.
    the best thing other than riding on a wave is sitting in the sand with nobody around you when all the crowds are gone in the summer. if you just sit there with a warm breeze in your face, you can just disconnect for the hectic everyday life. it is the relaxing thing i have ever done.