LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not a local shaper but totally believe that for 95 percent of surfers in the mid-Atlantic, the big name brands just don't work as well as custom shapes from the guys who ride our waves. I've ridden big name board and occasionally on a lark I'll buy one just to see what the hype is all about. With the exception of a ...lost SDII I have always been disappointed. In contrast, I've ridden customs from Jon Ashton for 25 years and have NEVER had a board that didn't work in our waves.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Exit98Surf View Post
    AKA: you preach the local shaper angle on hear EVERY TIME a board question comes up... How can you be sure a local shaper has the experience in shaping and glassing to buy one??? You can't. The ONLY local shapers i have heard good things about and would buy a custom from are Wynn and Cosmic Bull... What's your agenda? Are you a local shaper? Just wondering, not starting more beef on this thread...
    Word of mouth has alot to do if you know a local shaper has enough experience to make one decide if they wanna buy a board from them .

If a guy has been only making boards for 6 months and in that time he has made a good name for them self with the people who he made boards for. I would probally give him a shot if my first of second choice shapers were to loaded with work and the wait was long.

Wynn and Cosmic Bull are both board makers you cant go wrong with either of them

right. since in that industry if a small time guy makes junk he's not in business for very long. If a guy has been around for awhile you can bet he makes high quality boards.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    for 95 percent of surfers in the mid-Atlantic, the big name brands just don't work as well as custom shapes from the guys who ride our waves.
    Great point!

Images
    I agree with aka...i've had all good experiences with local shapers such as Jon Ashton, Mike Hague. Obviously guys like Merrick or Rusty or JS. are perfectly capable of building boards that will work perfectly for you in Jersey or Delmarva waves but their stock boards off the rack may not fit your situation as well as what a local shaper can build since you can describe your exact needs and skills and what has worked for you in the past and what hasnt

Back to the pop out thing... I dont see how a board that starts by being cut by a C&C machine is really any more of a pop-out than a board that starts out from an close tolerance blank as most poly boards do. In both cases, isnt the shaper just relying on technology to get them to a starting point where to a large extent rocker and foil are provided by machine. In both cases the shaper tunes the rail, hard edges, adjusts the vee and concaves etc.
    Last edited by mitchell; Jan 8, 2010 at 03:07 PM.

Images
    Yeah, word of mouth, mostly through forums, is what leads me to only trust Wynn and Cosmic Bull, as far as Jersey is concerned. I guess what prompted my question is the influx of local shapers popping up all over other avenues like Craig's List. There's a couple people advertising new custom shapes (starting at $350), but don't supply names or experience, etc. One guy does, Chaize, but I know nothing of him...

Yeah I would steer clear of those types of guys. If you've never done it, get a custom. It is so cool to go the shaper and sit with him and go over dimensions and then have him rough shape the blank for you. Then when you get it you know that board is made exactly for you.

Northender Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    I belive Summer Sun Surf Shop in Cape May has them if not he can get them . I was in there a while back looking at The MSF (single fin) and he siad he can get anything CI has on there website
    haha My local surf shop/ shaper made me A single fun modeled from the MSF. The thing is sick.

my newest Ashton is the basic template of the Lost Speed Demon but we made some changes to make it work better in mushier waves.

If you like the Dumpster diver check out a Roberts White Diamond. This was Danes inspiration for the DD. Check the thread in the design forum on Surfermag about CI pressuring Surfer to pull a video of Dane riding the Roberts board before CI "created" this "new" design.