LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Makapuu Fins Too Floppy/Bendy

Somehow on my new set of XL Makapuus for winter use, there is just 0 stiffness in the fins -- even the thick ribs on the sides bend easily... Should I e-mail Wham-o / Churchill (I just bought these) and try to get them to replace them, or is this normal? I have a pair of L Makapuus that are nice and sturdy but just a little too small to fit over my winter fin socks...

I wish there was someplace I could actually try on some different bodyboard fins and see what works without, like, needing to fly to California / Hawaii / Australia

Images
    PM livesurfish, he'll want to be in this conversation.

Images
    Dude I've heard that about the new Mak's...they're being produced in a different factory or something and lack the stiffness they used to have...I hear ya on the trying different fins on...Narragansett Surf and Skate carries Vipers I'm pretty sure...

My other thought was to just actually stick some kind of reinforcing rods down into the ribs ( like some small dowels / carbon rods / peices of coat hanger wire or something) 'cuz it seems like if I could stiffen them up they would be great fins with the nice soft foot pocket...

I will have to check that shop out next time I'm in Gansett

I have a really weird pair of fins called H20 Wavegripper. very soft pocket, very stiff blade. They are lower end fins, but very functional, I use them to bodysurf all the time ebodyboarding.com has them

also dafin is known to be good too

I just had the same problem and I need new fins because they dont fit over my winter socks so now I know not to get makapuus and to get another pair of hydros

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    I have a really weird pair of fins called H20 Wavegripper. very soft pocket, very stiff blade. They are lower end fins, but very functional, I use them to bodysurf all the time ebodyboarding.com has them

also dafin is known to be good too
    I've had both Maks and DaFins and greatly prefer the DaFins. Just a better overall fin as far as comfortability, thrust, stiffness, and price go.

I have used the L and XL Makapuus a lot. The XL are a bit floppier but I think it is balanced thrustwise with the L because the surface area is much greater. The XL is floppy and big, they even can get a bend in them that will not straighten out which is very different than the board like stiffness of the L. They just take a little getting used to but they are good fins, just different.

Again it is perfectly normal, that is just how the XL is.

I was a Churchill guy for many years, but Vipers were a game changer. But I use them for bodysurfing only... not bodyboarding.

I still favor my hydros