LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneybaloney View Post
    I'm donating through my company because they are matching dollar for dollar!
    Same here mine is doing the same as well

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    whether it was Obama, Bush, McCain, or anyone else as president, I am fairly certain the US would have donated money and relief efforts.
    i agree with wallysurf, but when there is a natural disaster we can't turn their backs. that being said, i think it is pointless to give money to haiti due to their extreme corruption in their country and 80% living below the poverty line, the money we donate won't get to where it's needed most, but go to the elitest of the country. We should give goods, and necesseties that they need to survive. Im glad were sending some military the most i think they need is hope and some physical help from someone.
    Mr.Swellinfo i agreee because thats what this country does, we help out others in need because our country stands for freedom and democracy. and mitchell i think thats a terrible way to look at things "the debt will be there tomorrow". you can't just keep on spending money, it doesn't work like that...you CAN run out of money and USA is in serious trouble especially with this stupid healthcare bill. This shouldn't be a political matter, but a people matter.

Arrow

I think by now everyone pretty much made their points.If you wanna help thats awsome and if you dont then thats your choice.Lets move on.............
    Last edited by Duck Dive 26; Jan 17, 2010 at 07:10 PM.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyav13 View Post
    i agree with wallysurf, but when there is a natural disaster we can't turn their backs. that being said, i think it is pointless to give money to haiti due to their extreme corruption in their country and 80% living below the poverty line, the money we donate won't get to where it's needed most, but go to the elitest of the country. We should give goods, and necesseties that they need to survive. Im glad were sending some military the most i think they need is hope and some physical help from someone.
    Mr.Swellinfo i agreee because thats what this country does, we help out others in need because our country stands for freedom and democracy. and mitchell i think thats a terrible way to look at things "the debt will be there tomorrow". you can't just keep on spending money, it doesn't work like that...you CAN run out of money and USA is in serious trouble especially with this stupid healthcare bill. This shouldn't be a political matter, but a people matter.
    the thing that i dont understand with this. is why are we sending them so much money just to get us in more debt and at the same time using our air craft carriers and floating hospitals? why doesnt the obama administration just send the air craft carriers and floating hospitals and the armed forces to go over and help. instead of getting us in more debt. i know its a catastrophe but still our hospitals and army and everyother branch can do much more than just money.

I don't think donation funds are going to Haiti's politicians or businessmen, it's going to the nonprofit organizations (i.e. Red Cross) who will exchange it for food, water, clothing and medical supplies for the masses (they don't get supplies for free). If you donate to the right organization, you can be sure it will be used for a suitable and practical purpose and not be redirected into some corrupt politicians wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by davincimoon View Post
    Guys let's keep some perspective. As much as a travesty the lack of response in 2006 was the traumatic days of the Katrina disaster have long passed. Haiti is happening right now and the next 48 hours are crucial as to whether thousands of people live or die. They need water, have no where to sleep in Port au Prince where concrete slabs lie trapping I don't even want to think how many people. They don't have the heavy equipment to do anything, most of their doctors are dead already cause hospitals have collapsed where they were. The UN and many other foriegn aid troops are unaccounted for. They need help and desperately because basically you have about a 4 million people around the epicenter with no shelter and water and a logistical nightmare...

I wish I could fly to the DR load a f---ing truck up with water and basic supplies and drive to Haiti to feel like I really did something and then surf on my way back or as I waited for another resupply of the truck so I could make my way back with more supplies. Instead all I can do is write on this forum and send a feeble check to one of the many aid agencies - http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/impact/ - check em out if you want., hopefully you pick the one with the least bureaucracy so your buck gets more bang. It's just crazy, Haiti is only about 1300 miles from NYC and obviously a lot closer to Florida. There are several hundred thousand Haitian Americans. They're the second oldest democracy in the region and the poorest country in hemisphere. They need our help now! Let's not linger because of regrets of the past.

A lot of Marines and Coasties are already on their way, let's pray for everyone...
    Thanks for saying what needed to be said. This earthquake has crushed Haiti and as citizens of planet earth each of us should do whatever we can to help out our fellow humans. Pick a group like Oxfam, American Red Cross (bailed me out after an explosion), or another group of your choosing. These people are going to need our help for a long time to rebuild what they can of their lives.

It's great to hear that Stoney and Matt can get their donations matched by the folks they work for. I'm going to see if I can get my employer to do the same...