LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: home shaping

home depot route

i picked up a blank and glassing supplies from greenlight a couple weeks ago. Brian at greenlight has been extremely helpful. And depending on where you live you could just drive to his shop to pick up the blanks to save shipping. I thought about going the home depot route but just seemed like too much of a pain to get the rocker right.

jay howd you do that and whats the price

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by salisburyshred View Post
    cool do you know anywhere i could pick up a blank locally maybe chauncey's. thanks for the help
    Doc at Ocean Atlantic on 34th st sells blanks. At least i've bought from him in the past...expensive, but cheaper than have 1 or 2 blanks shipped. And you can get some good shaping advice from him at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by surfde View Post
    jay howd you do that and whats the price
    layered up a bunch of the insulation foam from home depot with glue and tape and weighed it down over an existing surfboard to match the rocker more or less. i probably put about $200 into the project, but next time it will be less now that i have the resin tints and a few of the tools i didn't have. it was fun

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jay cagney View Post
    layered up a bunch of the insulation foam from home depot with glue and tape and weighed it down over an existing surfboard to match the rocker more or less. i probably put about $200 into the project, but next time it will be less now that i have the resin tints and a few of the tools i didn't have. it was fun

Hey jay if you got anymore pictures of the building process maybe you can start a thread on how you made your blank and board.

You could show what tools are needed and any related info on material .

Alot of guys wanna shape there own boards but not everyone has the cash to get blanks or dont want buy a expencive blank only to screw it up .

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jay cagney View Post
    Jay,

did you use any heat when you bent the foam? Did it hold its rocker after you took the weights off? Just curious, I did something similar last year and found that at room temp the foam wouldn't hold the rocker. Then I tried it with portable heaters underneath the foam for a day or two, cooled it off, and the rocker seemed to hold better with the weights off. BTW, i didnt use a surfboard as a rocker template.

Jay, couple questions
    *Was it stringerless?
    *What did you use to cut it cout
    *What resin did you use
    *What are those sheets called and where in home depot can they be found
    *They make insulating foam that long?
    *Most important; How does it ride and hold up in the water?
    -If you can make a thread it would be a lot of help, or possibly create a blog on your whole experience
    Last edited by surfde; Jan 20, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Images
    I think a thread should be started The Home Depot Surfboard Build

I build my last 2 boards out of a piece of foam I found in the dumpster behind a lab. It looks like it was used to pack some scientific instruments or something.

Before-

Shaping-

Ready to bag the skins on-

You might have noticed that the board has no rails. They will be layered cork and balsa and glasses with 4oz after the skins are bagged and trimmed.

Lesson learned- you can build a board out of pretty much anything. Lowe's insulation, dumpster foam, or a quality Clark blank. Just make sure that if you use Lowe's foam (or any other EPS for that matter) you use Epoxy, NOT poly. It will eat your board.

And you cant go wrong talking to Brian at Greenlight. He talked my through some problems I had with ProBox early on. Great guy, dedicated to helping small time shapers. If you want any more info send me a PM.