LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Non Surfing Sponsorship

Kolohe Andino has left billabong and signed with Red Bull, Nike 6.0, and TARGET. Red bull is his main sponsor. Carrisa Moore also has the same sponsors. Now my question is, do you think this is bad for Surfing? These larger companies can dish out more money for the phenoms and WCTers, but do you think this will be good or will it make surfing more mainstream.

Images
    money + surfing = always a good thing. Every young american has an interest in surfing, even kids in Kansas. It is intriguing to everyone, but fear not, they can buy boardies and flipflops from target, but there will never be waves in Kansas. And even if people in Baltimore start rocking surf gear, they will still never touch the water...

Its a style for most people, a lifestyle for us. They can market all they want, its great for the surfers. I have taken every random dollar ans sponsor i could get my hands over the years. I wish Target was sponoring 5 years ago when I was competetive.

I know most soul surfers will disagree, but honestly, money is good for surfing.

I kinda think it's just weird that target is sponsoring surfers.. is it because there trying to get hip? I think it's stupid. if i had the option on sponsorships between target and billabong, i'd chose billabong even if target offers me more money...well depends on how much more. Kolohe probably got a huge check from them.

Images
    How do you know Kolohe left Billabong?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyav13 View Post
    I kinda think it's just weird that target is sponsoring surfers.. is it because there trying to get hip? I think it's stupid. if i had the option on sponsorships between target and billabong, i'd chose billabong even if target offers me more money...well depends on how much more. Kolohe probably got a huge check from them.
    Yeah, I just look at it is a huge, faceless corporation, with really deep pockets that are willing to help kids travel and sponsor equipment and other expenses for surfers trying to make it. I think its great if they fund travel, and contests and equipment... And if they attempt to market BS to the surf community, its not like we will listen to them. It is just a technicality. They will be paying a few kids bills, which to me is good. Billabong are super localized and have very slim resources in the big picture. They rely on surf products and surf only marketing. Target has endless ammounts of funding. I mean, its not like Target can buy reefs or beachs... They can just slap stickers under kids feet, and every other sport in the world does it, why not us?

I understand 95% of surfers are all about soul surfing and secret spots and preserving their lifestyle, but when I was younger and competed, I wish there a target sponsorship out there. That would have been siock. So, for all the kids who want to make a career out of this, and move to where all the action is, and get to travel etc, then its great.

My only point is that I can't come up with any really negative side affects from this.

Quote Originally Posted by SethC View Post
    How do you know Kolohe left Billabong?
    http://surf.transworld.net/100009451...kolohe-andino/

why do you care?? if you have sponsors like that youve obv. forgotten why you love surfing. i dont surf bc i wanna get sponsored and make money. i surf because i enjoy it. yes these sponsors are making it mainstream but you even quesitoning it is what makes it mainstreaml. stop questioning it.

Images
    no disrespect to "soul surfing", and surfing for the fun aspect of it. but if someone would pay me to do something i love whether it is surfing, photography, eating or sleeping i would gladly do it. just becuase your getting paid doesnt take away any aspect of it at all unless you allow it too

Images
    its a free country, who cares, if ur worried about people stealing UR style who cares, come up with something new. let these guys make thier money and live thier and prob most of ours dream.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by no6rider89 View Post
    no disrespect to "soul surfing", and surfing for the fun aspect of it. but if someone would pay me to do something i love whether it is surfing, photography, eating or sleeping i would gladly do it. just becuase your getting paid doesnt take away any aspect of it at all unless you allow it too
    You can be a soul surfer and still get sponsered or paid to surf . Its when one starts to demand more money or take money from anyone to rep there company or product.

When making money surfing becomes your priority compared to having fun surfing and you lose the stoke that surfing gives you then its time to hang the board up .

Its my perosnal opinion that Nike 6.0, Target, and any other non surifng companies have that are trying to get there peice of the money pot with surfing have no buisness in the sport. The same thing happend to the X-Games once main stream companies to there hands on it .