LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seal watching

Images
    i wouldnt be to worried about them harming us while we are out. though if i see a whole bunch of them in the water then they disappear that is when i get nervous......

oh yeah and my buddy who surfs up in long island told me some lady got mauled by a seal so it was a little bit uneasy at first haha

Quote Originally Posted by no6rider89 View Post
    i wouldnt be to worried about them harming us while we are out. though if i see a whole bunch of them in the water then they disappear that is when i get nervous......
    thats true too. but its a little less sketchy when there are more people out with you. and if i was to get encounter a shark i would rather it in warm water than cold if that makes any sense haha. but nonetheless i am not afraid of the sharks nor do i think about them when i surf its just encounters like that remind you of those other fish that think were seals haha

Images
    Once i was paddling back across the channel with some friends from the wedge in december and managed to get pick up by a friendly boater. they had been out fishing and were telling us to watch out for sharks cause there had been alot of seals around, but i figure they were just trying to freak us out cause they were surfers, prob trying to keep the spot to themselves...not rele worried about shark, a lil in cold water cause then its Jaws, its whatever, if its ur time its ur time.

They come every year and spend the winter in the back bays of certain parts of Jersey. Typically they are Harbor Seals. Years ago I took a class at Stockton (when it was Stockton State College) where we monitored their behavior in Great Bay. They are absolutely beautiful...and large in the water as well as friendly.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    They look like Black Labs when they poke their heads out....
    That's what I always thought. I have always considered them "sea dogs". That's why it kind of sucks seeing the great white rip their heads off.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    I've only seen seals in SoCal in the water... I've heard of seals in the Mid Atlantic, but I didn't think it was too common? Seems like all of a sudden they are popping up everywhere?
    Because of education/conservation, the Gray seal population is expanding in the Atlantic. Out of all the spottings mentioned, I'd bet the majority were Grays.

Images
    There was a seal chillin on the beach in VB this weekend, but just one. I've been surfing here for 14 years, and it's first time I've seen one. Since it was alone, I approached it to see if it was injured. When I got close, it barked and me and hauled a$$ into the water. I guess it was ok.
    It was the coolest animal encounter I've had on the East Coast. Sea otters out west are cool as hell too...

Images
    Had one in AC Saturday check us out, and kept feeling swirls of water under my feet. The water got very clear Sat. with the NE winds, so it was probally just chillen under us checkin us out.
    O yea, what eats seals? JAWS.
    Good thing we are flopping around in black rubber suits causing distress!;

Images
    I was checking the surf on Saturday in LB and there were a bunch of people crowed around the boardwalk checking something out at Pav Ave. Naturally, I had to see what the hell was going on so I parked and walked down the beach where I found a bunch of fireman blocking off the jetty where a big a$$ seal was sunbathing. The fireman were def making a big deal about it, wouldn't even let me snap a pic with my phone. I understand they're protecting the people and the seal, but give me a break guys.... just like cops, give someone a little authority and they try and take it a long way. Anyway, I got a little agro with the young fireman and told them I was going to run up and put my wetsuit on to have a swim with the seal and they really took me seriously. The said "don't make us radio the cops down here." HAHAHA CLOWNS!