LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recommendations on Outer Banks vacations

Booking a house in August in the Duck/Carolla area in NC. I've never been to this part of the outer banks, anyone prefer Duck over Carolla or vise versa as far as surf and as an overall good vacation spot for my family?

while reading the following, keep in mind that i'm biased, as i own a rental property in buxton.

i would honestly say that you should go further south. the nags head/duck/southern shores area is so over-run w/ goobers from ohio & tourist traps that you might as well stay here. it would be cheaper.
    farther down the banks, however, you can still catch good waves by yourself or w/ just your friends. it's quiet, peaceful...as my father says, it reminds him of what oc, nj was like 40 years ago. there are some shops, pretty much all mom & pop type places, restraunts, etc...plenty of places to stay, including my house. (remember, i'm biased! )

i honestly do like it a lot better in the hatteras region of the banks, rather than the nags head area.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    while reading the following, keep in mind that i'm biased, as i own a rental property in buxton.

i would honestly say that you should go further south. the nags head/duck/southern shores area is so over-run w/ goobers from ohio & tourist traps that you might as well stay here. it would be cheaper.
    farther down the banks, however, you can still catch good waves by yourself or w/ just your friends. it's quiet, peaceful...as my father says, it reminds him of what oc, nj was like 40 years ago. there are some shops, pretty much all mom & pop type places, restraunts, etc...plenty of places to stay, including my house. (remember, i'm biased! )

i honestly do like it a lot better in the hatteras region of the banks, rather than the nags head area.
    As someone who's been going to the Outer Banks for over 30 years now, I agree with the sentiment of staying south of the Duck/Corolla area. The surf is almost always better further south. What they've let happen in Duck and Corolla...it's not pretty.

My family stays in the one of the older areas of Nags Head just south of the pier (my own bias). There's still some "mom and pop" stuff left, and for those of us coming from NJ and Delmarva beaches, it's really not all that built up and touristy.

If there's not much surf happening in "town" as they call it, you can always head over the bridge and in 20 minutes pull up to an empty spot in Pea Island. If you want to go find a crowd and some good waves, then S-Turns is your ticket. If you need to get to the southside, you're not that far away.

And I have nothing against staying on Hatteras Island. It's an experience on its own, even if the surf isn't great while you there (the place will call you back).

Best thing, they don't do the surf beach thing down there. Just surf where you want, even in the summer.

Good luck.

Duck/Coralla is a good family vacation spot its away from the mad house that is kitty hawk, kill devil hills and nags head during the summer...as far as the surf your best bet is always down south but you may luck out and catch a hurricane swell...good luck

Hatteras, frisco, and buxton my favorite

that time of year duck is really not that much better then va beach you need to head south by about 50 miles

Images
    I agree with the previous sentiment on Corolla/Duck area

My take is
    If you like convenience stay in nags head/kill devil hills area
    Surf is almost always better from Rodanthe south depending on swell & wind

Hatteras Island.
    Buxton.
    much more surf,much less people,much warmer,much closer to the south side,costs much less.
    i love how most people don't make the effort.
    keeps it nice.

GO SOUTH. I have caught good barreling waves by the research pier in Duck a few times over the years but summer time is a crap shoot as far as waves...not any better than VB as far as wave quality and 99% of the time its defiantly better further south. The speed limit heading north from town is a excruciating and strictly enforced 35 mph clogged with the Griswolds on summer vacation. It sucks being stuck in that traffic when your jonesing for surf, trying to get beer, or trying to eat breakfast to help stop your hangover (last 2 probably don't apply to a family vacay). Hatty is where its at (look at the article in this months Surfing). More options as far as waves from Rodanthe to the Southside and beyond.

Being a surfer, you'll visit once to OBX and then it will become your annual summer vacation spot. Cheaper housing rentals, good seafood restaurants, tranquility, fishing, non-aggro/friendly surfers, options to surf whatever break you want...its just a great vibe. I went there on vacations about 5 times before I even got into surfing and love vacationing there much better than OCMD, VA Beach and Jersey shore (only been to OCNJ though). Did I forget OBX generally has better waves as well?

Unless you prefer crowds, loud obnoxious people, cement and highrise hotels and the smell of burnt popcorn and french fry grease in the air then OBX won't be for you.