LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    1,356

    For the surfers that work in an office

    http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/he...ry-free_40541/

    i don't know about you all, but it takes me a while to get loose after a day of work, or not being in the water for a few days. i go to the gym regularly, but i do a lot of lifting, so it's not exactly keeping me loose like yoga would. i think adding these exercises are a perfect compliment to a gym routine as well as a good idea in general for anyone working in an office trying to stay loose and fit.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ocean, NJ
    Posts
    1,408
    Images
    4
    I can definitely appreciate this, since I have tendonitis in one shoulder. It affects my paddling, but if Bethany Hamilton can paddle with one arm - I can't really complain.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Davy Jones' Locker
    Posts
    1,384
    Images
    64
    Yoga is awesome.....I used to do the yoga for surfers. Now, I have a wii and do it on there.

    Weight lifting + Yoga = killer sessions

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    Yoga is awesome.....I used to do the yoga for surfers. Now, I have a wii and do it on there.

    Weight lifting + Yoga = killer sessions
    agreed....

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    Yoga is awesome.....I used to do the yoga for surfers. Now, I have a wii and do it on there.

    Weight lifting + Yoga = killer sessions
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    agreed....
    In the "Surf Stronger" workout you do all of your weights while on an exercise ball. Also situps and push ups on the ball too. Having to keep your body balanced while doing any type of exercise makes a BIG difference. Your weak areas are exposed a lot more than on a floor or a bench.

    The other thing is, balance on one of the main features of our sport. So the fact that you're "balanced" while working out does carry over in the water.

    There are also a number of dynamic exercises in the regimen that use legs and arms together in a single motion - just like we do when surfing. And the workout has a yoga based warm down.

    I was very skeptical when I coughed up the $$ for the video, but I'm sold. Definitely worth every penney.

    (Micah has the DVD in the Swell Info store - I did an iTunes download)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Davy Jones' Locker
    Posts
    1,384
    Images
    64
    Here's a good exercise for balance.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9GYeYrfP7o

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Retzlaff44 View Post
    In the "Surf Stronger" workout you do all of your weights while on an exercise ball. Also situps and push ups on the ball too. Having to keep your body balanced while doing any type of exercise makes a BIG difference. Your weak areas are exposed a lot more than on a floor or a bench.

    The other thing is, balance on one of the main features of our sport. So the fact that you're "balanced" while working out does carry over in the water.

    There are also a number of dynamic exercises in the regimen that use legs and arms together in a single motion - just like we do when surfing. And the workout has a yoga based warm down.

    I was very skeptical when I coughed up the $$ for the video, but I'm sold. Definitely worth every penney.

    (Micah has the DVD in the Swell Info store - I did an iTunes download)

    Ya very good point. When I was at the gym the other day, I saw a guy doing squats (probably nearly 300 pounds) while on the indo board. I was ****ing amazed!!! It was crazy, especially knowing how hard it is to do that weight in normal squats! To do that on an indo board is phenomenal!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Here is the Surf Stronger DVD in the Swellinfo Store.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakagrom View Post
    Ya very good point. When I was at the gym the other day, I saw a guy doing squats (probably nearly 300 pounds) while on the indo board. I was ****ing amazed!!! It was crazy, especially knowing how hard it is to do that weight in normal squats! To do that on an indo board is phenomenal!
    Wow, that is insane. Wonder what the gym's insurance company would think?

    In the Surf Stronger workout you're usually lying or sitting on the ball (I think the proper term is "stability ball"). Nothing as challenging as Indo Board squats.

    The ball is great for stretching on. You can really develop some great flexibility in your neck and back. Again, something that's very useful in the water.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape May Co, NJ
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakagrom View Post
    Ya very good point. When I was at the gym the other day, I saw a guy doing squats (probably nearly 300 pounds) while on the indo board. I was ****ing amazed!!! It was crazy, especially knowing how hard it is to do that weight in normal squats! To do that on an indo board is phenomenal!
    I gotta say, anybody squatting 300 lbs on an indo board is a jack ass. Cool he can do it but the risk of serious injury is not worth it.