LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snow in OC MD?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    The buxton water temp being reported is from buoy 41025. This is a little bit off the coast and is greatly influenced by the gulf stream.

The water here dropped from 69 to 55 in the last 24 hours on 41025:
    http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41025

Its definitely not always representative of the water at the beach, but there is no closer observation near there.

I would say sometimes the water along the southern OBX could be warmer that Wrightsville area, because of the gulf stream really goes close to the Cape there.
    Interesting.

Wish I could move the gulf stream up a few hundred miles and lay it down in the deleware bay. Then Jersey can get the cold water and OC MD can be the new Southern NC. Sweet. Global Warming For Life!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post

I would say sometimes the water along the southern OBX could be warmer that Wrightsville area, because of the gulf stream really goes close to the Cape there.
    Ive personally expereienced that...drove back from Charleston, SC a few years ago in early March. Surfed Folly Beach with water temps in the upper 50s/Low 60s. Same at Wrightsville. Next day, i was trunking it in 70 degree water at the CH lighthouse. All about gulf stream location and surface winds...surface winds were out of the south.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Ive personally expereienced that...drove back from Charleston, SC a few years ago in early March. Surfed Folly Beach with water temps in the upper 50s/Low 60s. Same at Wrightsville. Next day, i was trunking it in 70 degree water at the CH lighthouse. All about gulf stream location and surface winds...surface winds were out of the south.
    crazy... Baja Norte is colder than SD, then past Scorpion Bay, it warms back up again and by the time you get to Cabo, its like 80. One would think that as you travel from SoCal to the tip of Baja, it would get warm. Same effect. That Japanese current/upwelling does it there. I had to wear booties in June like 4 years ago down in Erendira. In June. The water in SD was like 67 that day. Down in Norte it was like 55.