LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pumping

Images

pumping

I'm doing an editorial for school against pumping the beaches, does anyone know any more problems with it? (other than ruining our breaks and costing a sh** load of money)

Quote Originally Posted by lbsurfer View Post
    I'm doing an editorial for school against pumping the beaches, does anyone know any more problems with it? (other than ruining our breaks and costing a sh** load of money)
    Loss/alteration of coastal ecosystems, loss of recreation areas, very temporary solution to a long-lasting problem, etc. Can't think of any more right this instant

Images
    Why not create manmade reefs as a solution?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbreak View Post
    Why not create manmade reefs as a solution?
    because there wont be any visual change. if people see that theyre working on the beaches and its not getting bigger they'll complain and protest it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_nourishment

i remember i was looking at it when they were doing it to Lb

creates a wicked shorebreak that breaks tourons necks. Can you say lawsuit?

Change in benthic sediments and biology... studies have shown it takes at least two years to get the worms, crabs, clams, oysters, ect. back after pumping. So the fish species that rely on them don't come close to the beaches. Translate that into monetary loss in the recreational fishing industry, and the local businesses lose MILLIONS, and the state takes a hit, too, because that money generates taxes.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Translate that into monetary loss in the recreational fishing industry, and the local businesses lose MILLIONS, and the state takes a hit, too, because that money generates taxes.
    lol, they just make you pay for fishing in the form of "registries" to make up that bull**** loss.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lbsurfer View Post
    because there wont be any visual change. if people see that theyre working on the beaches and its not getting bigger they'll complain and protest it
    yeah...i think man-made reefs as a means of controlling beach erosion wouldnt work well for most big east coast beach towns. An artificial reef could shelter one small stretch of beach and hold some sand, at the expense of nearby beaches (a reef doesnt CREATE sand...it just traps it in one location) but a town like OCMD is what? 9 miles long...

what's wrong w/ desert sand? i say we rape the desert for some nice beach breaks, it's gonna be expensive either way. why not get it where the supply is almost infinite instead of robbing peter to pay paul. one more reason to win the war, then we can take their oil AND their sand...
    Last edited by Frenzy...; Jan 31, 2010 at 09:31 PM.