LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Costa Rica is the bomb... plenty of surf and empty beaches for private time with the wife and iguanas. Plus there are endless things to do... Fish, Active Volcanoes, hiking, rain forest, Safari river tours (Feed the Crocks), Hot springs, surfing... It does get hot there 90-100+ degree air temp and 80-85 degree water temp.

I honeymooned in Barbados, stayed on west coast, rented car for traveling to surf spots. Crane beach is nice, but gets crowded. Surf Soup Bowls... Great food and water is third best in the world (No worries about local water), Drank some Mount Gay Rum on tour.
    Last edited by eastbreak; Feb 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM.

WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    Companionship is for the week. Forget marriage, sell your house, and go on a personal Drifter trip for the rest of your life like a real core soul surfer would do.

count me as another guy on here tying the knot this year. Our wedding is October and we're looking to honeymoon around Thanksgiving as well.

Cuase we'd like to be somewhere warm, we've pretty much narrowed it down to the Caribbean. As an added bonus she will even go out and flail around on a surfboard in warm water as opposed to sitting on the beach and watching me when a wetsuit is needed. This means I'll likely get more surf time. Having never been to the Carib, im going off what ive learned from others and what ive found on the web.

Barbados is probably a good bet. The best surf is on the east coast, including the famous Soup Bowls. However, that part of the island is pretty quiet and doesnt have any fancy hotels. The next best area to surf is the south. Here there are quite a few more lodging, dining, entertainment options. For all inclusive, there is the Turtle Beach Resort or Hilton. We are interested in something small, but classy, and have been looking at Little Arches or Silver Sands. Apparently the south part of the island is also great for wind surfing and kiteboarding, so it may be blown out a lot. Western Barbados probably has a lot of nice hotels too, but I've basically ignored it cause it probably is flat most of the time.

I've also been seriously considering the island of Guadeloupe. Not much info on it out there as it is a french speaking island. Anyone ever been there or heard much about it? Seems like kind of an off the beaten path kind of trip. It looks like it has a good mix of terrain...rainforests, beaches, sea cliffs, caves, volcanos, waterfalls....

I think surf wise, Guadeloupe is pretty similiar to Barbados with the East being the most consistent and generally the biggest and the south being a little calmer. In the east, the main surf break/town is Le Moule. Le Moule, like Bathsheba, seems to be more of a surf trip kind of place than a honeymoon destination. The south has a lot of fancier hotels on its coast, including a Club Med. I've been looking at Amuado Hotel, near the break Anse le Barque and Toubana

Here's a link to a video i found about Guadeloupe that focuses on the surfing:

http://www.close2target.tv/

(Go to "Travel Guides" and click on the one called "Gwada Stylez")

Thumbs up Puerto Rico's West Coast

That place rips when it's on....Rincon beach resort is secluded and relaxing....a 20-30 minute drive north takes you to some of the best surfing i've seen. Maria's, Domes, Jobo's are alot of fun....All are reef breaks too...The surf ranges from 3x over head to small fun stuff but chances are that time of year you'll get good surf.

Cabo is too cold in my book unless you both surf...You'll be in wetsuits the whole time....Stay with the Caribean...PR is only a 4 hour flight too....and the water is much clearer in the Caribean than Cabo if you want to do diving.

I also recommened the east coast of Costa Rica. It's small enough if there are waves on EITHER coast it's a short and pleasent drive to hit them....plus the water is always pleasent enough you can chill on the beach, dive, whatever...I guess you ghave to keep in mind your fiance having a good time too....Costa Rica is a blast...Diving, surfing, fishing, canopy tours...The people are nice...Brush up on your spanish...

I have a buddy near Jaco, CR running a small surf camp/ resort...He's an ex-pat from Hawaii so let me know if you're interested. He can assign you your own surf guide, plan your days etc....A total blast and the dude rips...Just won seniors divison in CR...He's only 39.

http://www.rinconbeach.com/

Both pics are of Puerto Rico I just found online....

Last edited by cjswee; Feb 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    one of my employees is a girl. She doesn't surf and just got back from Costa Rica. Her man surfed a couple days, and then they spent a lot of time in the rain forests and traveling over to the Caribbean side. she said she had a blast. just surf early in the morning, for a couple days and you should be straight....

I am getting married on August 28th, so that probably isnt a good time to go to costa rica, but I really want to go there too. The fiance wants to do the caribbean, but there really isnt much surf there. Also, this magazine we read on our last flight back to the west coast, this article talked about tropical honeymoon locations, and it basically said that costa rica was not as tropical on the pacific side as people say. And that it is usually hot and rugged, it isn't the same atmosphere as the islands are.... I dont know though. I've never been to CR. I have been to the islands many times.
    Yep, surf early in the morning before the winds shift. We were in the water at 530am til 9am...ate braeakfast, went into town, farted around, then back in the water about 4pm til dark...

You should be able to be in and out of the water before she even wakes up in you find a resort right on the water with a good break.

I'm another one getting married this year. We are going to South Africa on our honeymoon for a Safari, but we'll also be traveling along the coast from Cape Town up to Durban. I plan on getting in some surf time and definitely checking J-bay off my list of places to surf.

I went to Puerto Escondido .Wow was that the bomb overhead barrels every morning all week. It was very cheap too. I remember dinner was under $10 for two at a nice place. Fresh Tuna and Coronas too!! this was in 1991 . Prices might be up to $15-$20 for two with beers.

here's some advise from someone who's been married for almost 20 years...stay single!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    here's some advise from someone who's been married for almost 20 years...stay single!
    Hahaha.....I hear that from sooo many people.

Images
    [/QUOTE]

Looks like Gas chambers...

I visited Puerto Rico last year and scored some good waves, but the line up gets crowded. I was gas chambers breaking at 8-10ft backdoor pipeline type of wave. Surfered mostly downtown Aquadilla due to bad winds: Bridges, Sandpitts, and Tamarindo. The swell was so good that Tres Palms was breaking at 15ft, was a site to see.