LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boosting Air

Images
    i know this is what everyone is saying,but timing is EVERYTHING.

Boosting Air

Boosting is more on speed. As we all know when you played surfing you are flexible where the waves comes from.

i boost air with tight butthole

My introduction

I like this forum because of posts like thisvery much appreciated especially at what i am trying to accomplish.

Does anybody have further reading? Where's the best place to start out here on this website?

its all about timing and speed. also a good bottom turn is key. try to get speed up and turn on a 45 degree angle toward the lip hit it and then do a manuver

Images
    Ok so I'm getting some air on the bigger days (head high) what im doining is bottom turning, then driving back up the face of the wave and pushing of the lip with my board extending my arms and getting pitched to the flats. I'm trying to get a full rotation but most of the times I just wind up in the whitewash.

Images
    You should be hitting the lip of the wave the second it starts to curl over then you should be leaning back hard to pull yourself off of the wave and start to rotate backwards (assuming your trying to get air that you would use to pull off a backflip). It is a very big timing thing. Keep practicing that is the key

My biggest problem with airs is that I don't commit. I worry about not making the rotation and breaking my neck in the shallows when I project into the flats. I end up boosting on the wrong section of the wave, too early, and flipping over the back rather than getting tossed out in front.

As others have said, speed and timing are critical. I found that when I hit that speed pocket and see a section closing out, rather than bail out through the back of the wave, I have to pick the most insane spot to project from and just commit to getting blasted over the falls with the lip.

I managed a backflip on a HH right-hander doing this, and I was totally stoked that I stuck it. There was a moment of confusion as I launched into the pitching lip, and then whammo! I was bouncing along the whitewash bassackwards thinking: "Holy crap! I pulled it off!"

Of course, I've missed a lot more than I've stuck. I launched off a DOH set wave once, but freaked out about how high I was and tried to ball-up mid-air. Hit so hard I busted myself in the forehead with a knee. My eyebrow was bleeding into my eye, and I though I had split my eyeball open! Freaky.

Images
    Like most of you I am pushing way more in chest and bigger surf. Fast bottom turn for me then high line to the inside. Scoop straight up at closeout or if lip is visible. Most of the time I don't know if I am going invert or into full rotation. My next boogie I am going to change the plug placement. I hate when my face bounces off it!

Images
    Same, my fat a$$ can only boost in chest+...what I find to help generate speed:maintain a high line on the first section or two then make my bottom turn as opposed to dropping right into the trough and bottom turning...also, every time I've successfully boosted, I hit the lip earlier than what I had previously thought was necessary, like literally as it was just starting to pitch.