LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: music

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    hiphop is dead...
    So not true...

"Who in the world thinks that they could put an end to hip hop.. If it don't stop till I stop, and I don't stop till it stops.."

Just some names to check out.. J-Live, People Under the Stairs, The Greens Keepers, Anything produced by Pete Rock or RZA... Dudes like this are keeping hip hop alive.

As far as older stuff goes, gotta give huge props to.. Souls of Mischief, Heiroglyphics, A Tribe Called Quest, KRS One, Dilated Peoples, Gang Star, J5...

Alls these guys killed it!

I recommend all of you guys check out the Mushroom Jazz series (theres 7 of them)... Its just pure chill underground hip hop (mainly instrumentals), mixed by Mark Farina... Amazing Music! It and Petestrumetals pretty much changed my life!

Quote Originally Posted by surfrr View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Phish....especially after rocking the first ever three-night run at the legendary Boardwalk Hall only one month ago. There's other good stuff out there depending on your tastes, but if you like straight up talented rocking these guys are on another lever completely, IMO...
    I used to be way into phish... Have seen them live a few times, and caught their reunion show in hampton the first night (and what an epic night it was). I got wayyyyy to many live phish albums... Their mid to late 90s stuff their best period...

You can always get a feel for someone (or at least a phish fan) by their favorite live phish album... Mine is without a doubt 8-14-93, Tinley Park, Chicago... For any of you phish fans out there... its a must that you find this album (I'm sure its easy to find)!!!

http://phish.com/#/tours/dates/sat-1...-music-theater

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BonerSurfs View Post
    So not true...

"Who in the world thinks that they could put an end to hip hop.. If it don't stop till I stop, and I don't stop till it stops.."

Just some names to check out.. J-Live, People Under the Stairs, The Greens Keepers, Anything produced by Pete Rock or RZA... Dudes like this are keeping hip hop alive.

As far as older stuff goes, gotta give huge props to.. Souls of Mischief, Heiroglyphics, A Tribe Called Quest, KRS One, Dilated Peoples, Gang Star, J5...

Alls these guys killed it!

I recommend all of you guys check out the Mushroom Jazz series (theres 7 of them)... Its just pure chill underground hip hop (mainly instrumentals), mixed by Mark Farina... Amazing Music! It and Petestrumetals pretty much changed my life!

Im with you. Half my friends are still "rappers" in baltimore. I have seen half the guys you mentioned live. Back in the late 1990s, I ran a website called Baltimorehiphop.com and midatlantichiphop.com. We organized shows every week in baltimore and I got to hang backstage (Only whiteboy aloud! =P )... We used to go up to Philly and NYC to do minor shows.... Remember B-Rich and 80 dimes? Remember Timbs Trees (both underground baltimore gangsters that made it somewhat locally)... I helped out both of those guys back in the day since they had no idea what the internet was.
    Back when Timb trees used to show up at fletchers rocking a bullet proof vest for the $5 show!!!... Blazing dutch master after dutch master upstairs.

That was all a decade ago, but all of my "backpack" hiphop friends (mostly the skater guys) listened to all of the above that you mentioned, and while in 1999, I would have agreed with you 110%... Now, those guys are all pretty washed up wouldnt you say?

I love everything Wu-Tang... They fell off 5 albums ago. I stopped messing with RZA when he started calling himself "Bobby Digital" and dropped and album that was garbage back in like 2000...

All I am saying is this: I love hearing all those guys you mentioned, but mostly I only fu** with their old stuff....

The stuff that all those dudes are putting out are just recycled styles of the past....

J5, Gangstar? Dialted, Tribe.... J-Live, KRS, Heiro.... All of em are SOOOO OLD SCHOOL BRO!

Thats what i MEANT by "HIPHOP IS DEAD" - Everyone you named made it famous last MILLENIUM.... ya know? It sounds worse putting it that way, but i have to say, Dilated Peoples had a hit single back in like 2004 with Kanye West, but I think that is the only success any of those cats have had in this decade.

I just feel like the only sh** out there that is tolerable was all produced Circa 1999. YOu feel me?

I think you and I have very similar taste, but it has been around a decade since ive heard some underground hiphop sh** that is NEW that made me say DAMN!!! Thats hot!

Some funny, kinda hot rap tracks that you must peep (Since my east coast buddies never heard of it)...

A Song Called "TOOT IT AND BOOT IT"...

It is SOOOOOOOOOOO Funny, and gets all the airplay on the west coast!! So corny, but so money!

And everybody on the west coast is "Doing the Dougie"... Now that sh** is funny too!

Guys have to drop Doug-E-Fresh's name to get a hit, and they still do it!

Images
    And when I first heard "TOOT it and BOOT it", I totally thought for like 2 weeks that the guy was singing "I TOOT IT IN HER BOOTY!", which made it like 20 times better... But still, its great.

hip hop is not dead its gone digital ala youtube.com dapiff.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg6zyo-0B-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdWxo...eature=related
    Last edited by billabongmoney; Dec 2, 2010 at 05:45 AM.

yo whatta bout the new yeeeeezy??

kanye's new album ****ing kills it yall.

came out like 2 weeks ago, everyone listen, it's bangin

"my beautiful dark twisted fantasy"

if you like to dance, new girl talk came out the other week too. sick mash-up tunes.

if you wanna listen to some throwback music that makes you think it's 1972, check out Tame Impala - they are a psychedelic rock band from Australia that are starting to make waves. saw them the other week and seriously they fulfilled all my dreams of ever seeing a prog band like pink floyd or yes from the 1970's in 2010. i'm not much for seeing washed up old guys so seeing dudes my age tear it up was so cool.

floaty synths, tripped out guitar, love.

tame impala. check em.

Images
    You can always get a feel for someone (or at least a phish fan) by their favorite live phish album... Mine is without a doubt 8-14-93, Tinley Park, Chicago..
    I don't think there is a bad one out there....that being said mine would have to be 11-17-97, Denver, CO...super funky, lots of Mike Gordon bass bombs, super sick ghost...If you haven't listened recently though I highly recommend checking out some shows from the their recent fall tour...they are on top of their game and tighter than they've ever been....

and @ cresto....that's a pretty funny video...it truly is a love/hate thing with this band...you either really like em or really hate em...there is no middle ground

Pandora on my Droid X.......hook it up to the car kit.....and it's endless.......

Images
    I hate hip-hop, i only listen to two rappers ----- Wiz Khalifa, and Mac Miller. Thats all you need.