LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Question

calling someone out about screwing up "hear" & "here" is an insult now? crap...i must be waaayyyy behind the times.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    calling someone out about screwing up "hear" & "here" is an insult now? crap...i must be waaayyyy behind the times.
    No worries 42,At least you and Beachbreak have something in common.You both surf and you both teach.Thats some kind of start I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    wasn't the old testament written before christ was alive? Isn't that the same book that the jewish religion still lives by?

I thought that was the main difference. The new testament is the christian writings, where the old testament is the same bible that even Jesus followed. It was before his time, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck Dive 26 View Post
    Dont quote me here,by all means im not a priest or anything but the old testament was written before Jesus.The bible in a whole is a bunch of books put together to make up the bible.The old testament points to the coming of Jesus.I believe jewish people follow the old testament and Catholics like myself follow both.
    Yes the Old Testament was indeed written before the birth of Christ.

Honestly, as a Jew myself, I cannot say that I follow the Old Testament, though I consider myself a Jew. I am a reform Jew, which means that I am the farthest removed from Conservative and Orthodox Jewish practices. Because of this, I have been brought up on Judaism, but not on the Bible, per se. It is hard to explain. My parents have always said that they don't know if they can truly believe in any one single deity responsible for creating the earth and in all other forms that "he" (God) is described in the Torah.

The reason that I still consider myself a Jew is the tradition and community which the religion provides. I think that religion was created many many years ago, back in the days when people thought heliocentrism was absolute nonsense, in order to explain natural occurences such as tornadoes, hurricanes, avalanches etc. Now that science has guided us into a world of innovation and technology, religion seems almost laughable. However, people still hold on to their religion because they want to believe that all praying and worship had not been for naught.

Obviously my opinion is much different than others on this forum. However, many of my fellow reform Jews (neighbors, friends, relatives etc) seem to share similar views as my own. So, I am just sort of throwing the reform Jewish perspective out there, not trying to rile up any god-fearing souls who may be offended that I don't believe in God, or that Jesus was our Savior.

nah I don't think it's an insult. It always bugs me when people neglect to use proper English. Like when people confuse the possessive apostrophe with the plural form, or the difference between their/there/they're and your/you're, or when they use are/our interchangeably, or when they say "to" instead of "too", or when they don't have subject-verb agreement, or when they use "me" and "I" incorrectly, or when they end a sentence with a preposition, or when they write run-on sentences that don't make sense and make the reader lose his focus (like this sentence). =] Yea, maybe I should become an English teacher some day. hahaha
    Last edited by Shakagrom; Feb 10, 2010 at 08:23 PM.

this thread proves that MOSTLY every war was fought over religion.

some(most) people think that there better than others. sometimes those people are christians.so they throw christianity in peoples faces. goes the same for other religions too.

The only invisible force that controls everything in the universe is gravity. I have total faith in that.

this post exemplifies EVERYTHING that irritates me about people like this. they don't even attempt to explain it, they just hide behind rhetoric & mysticism. & i don't recall ANYONE insulting anyone else. this has been a very civil thread given the topic.

if you want to contribute to the thread, why not offer some conversation, rather than just spouting the same thetoric over & over?

That's why it's called FAITH.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crumolator View Post
    this thread proves that MOSTLY every war was fought over religion.

some(most) people think that there better than others. sometimes those people are christians.so they throw christianity in peoples faces. goes the same for other religions too.
    yes that is a good point!

Jesus is the Lord God, and that is not rhetoric, it is the truth.

Images