LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i believe in myself, and a select few other people. everyone lies. & there is certainly no way in hell that i would put faith in a government. esp. one as corrupt & screwed up as ours.

see, to me that sounds like the dumbest thing ever uttered on the planet. why would a loving, kind, just god who wants us all to be w/ him put such a caveat on the deal? "why yes, i love you & want you to spend all eternity basking in my presence. but only if you accept my son as your savior." it just seems like a "GOTCHA!" move. i mean, who's "sin" are we talking about here? if humans of all backgrounds & religions can agree that the "big ones"- rape, murder, theft- are bad, what else is there? its nit-picking after that. christians believe that taking the lord's name in vain is a sin. the jews believe that mixing milk & shellfish is a sin (no new england clam chowder for them!), muslims believe that pictures of their prophet are a sin. in the grand scheme of things, unimportant.

as for continuing down that path of logic, all i can say is, "duh!"
    well, many Jews are not kosher.

Images
    guys, thanks for keeping this discussion civil.

What I like is knowing that surfing has bonded people all over the world. Look at what happened in Ireland. Wasnt it the Malloy brothers who created a surf camp icluding Protestants and Catholics. Then Paskowitz ( I think) who created a surf camp that included Palastinians and Israilis. Surfing overcame the religious conflict in each country. Everyone surfing and having fun side by side rather than across the fence and pointing guns at each other. Now thats cool!!!
    Last edited by Alvin; Feb 10, 2010 at 05:19 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    What I like is knowing that surfing has bonded people all over the world. Look at what happened in Ireland. Wasnt it the Malloy brothers who created a surf camp icluding Protestants and Catholics. Then Paskowitz ( I think) who created a surf camp that included Palastinians and Israilis. Surfing overcame the religious conflict in each country. Everyone surfing and having fun side by side rather than across the fence and pointing guns at each other. Now thats cool!!!
    agreed. good post.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakagrom View Post
    By the "Bible" you are referring to the New Testament! No where in the Old Testament is Christ even mentioned, and when I think of Bible, I think of Old Testament.
    wasn't the old testament written before christ was alive? Isn't that the same book that the jewish religion still lives by?

I thought that was the main difference. The new testament is the christian writings, where the old testament is the same bible that even Jesus followed. It was before his time, no?

Images
    And when I was in middle school, i questioned my priest and stumped him on a few simple questions.

First: We are told to follow our governments rules, and abide by their laws. If me, as a catholic was drafted into the military during war times, and was told by my country to kill, and I did, would I be forgiven? Is that a deadly sin.... He had no answer....

And the one that he did asnwer, that really bugged me, was that yes, no matter how GREAT of a person you are, if you have EVER heard of christ, through other people or through anything, it is at that point in your life, that you must begin to follow. He basically said the only ones who are safe from this are people who have lived in a the jungle and never had any interaction or communication with anyone involving christ. Which is why they send missionaries into Africa etc to spread the word. Making everyone accoutable.... Kinda good, but really messed up....

As a kid, i never understood that. The church makes you FEAR god more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    wasn't the old testament written before christ was alive? Isn't that the same book that the jewish religion still lives by?

I thought that was the main difference. The new testament is the christian writings, where the old testament is the same bible that even Jesus followed. It was before his time, no?
    Dont quote me here,by all means im not a priest or anything but the old testament was written before Jesus.The bible in a whole is a bunch of books put together to make up the bible.The old testament points to the coming of Jesus.I believe jewish people follow the old testament and Catholics like myself follow both.

Jesus is the one and only true living God ever,the Christ,the Messiah as told and foretold since the beginning and eternal.

This cannot be explained properly on this forum,but I could explain it in person or by phone.

You will never understand it unless you seek Him,cry out to Him and He comes to you.
    If Jesus does not come to you,you will not believe.

He is God,he chooses who He chooses;it would make no sense if we chose Him.

Praise the Lord God Jesus Christ that this thread,so innocently started,survived the insults,exposed so many who are on the right path,and kept going so nicely.

Because only He is God,this little inquiry as always caused all this,as His name Jesus always does.

Like Him,awesome.

Thanks,Micah.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    Jesus is the one and only true living God ever,the Christ,the Messiah as told and foretold since the beginning and eternal.

This cannot be explained properly on this forum,but I could explain it in person or by phone.

You will never understand it unless you seek Him,cry out to Him and He comes to you.
    If Jesus does not come to you,you will not believe.

He is God,he chooses who He chooses;it would make no sense if we chose Him.

Praise the Lord God Jesus Christ that this thread,so innocently started,survived the insults,exposed so many who are on the right path,and kept going so nicely.

Because only He is God,this little inquiry as always caused all this,as His name Jesus always does.

Like Him,awesome.

Thanks,Micah.

this post exemplifies EVERYTHING that irritates me about people like this. they don't even attempt to explain it, they just hide behind rhetoric & mysticism. & i don't recall ANYONE insulting anyone else. this has been a very civil thread given the topic.

if you want to contribute to the thread, why not offer some conversation, rather than just spouting the same thetoric over & over?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i guess they didn't teach you to spell at sunday school.

maybe you should worry less about your "everlasting soul" & "spreading the word" & more about presenting yourself as a moron. religion & surfing do NOT mix.
    I would have to say that I would call that an insult thou LOL