LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: How shallow is the pipeline reef over where the waves are breaking?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3-4 feet

1 14.29%
  • 4-6 feet

6 85.71%
  • 6-8 feet

0 0%
  • 8-10 feet

0 0%
  • 10-15 feet

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How shallow is the pipeline reef?

Hey guys how shallow is pipeline while waiting in the lineup?

and how shallow is it over where your riding the waves in (and hopefully not wiping out)?

Thanks

http://www.surfline.com/surfing-a-to...e-history_883/

Depending on size, Pipe breaks over one of three reefs. First Reef breaks more often and has the most impact, handling up to 10 feet with the perfect cylinders that gave Pipe its name. The extreme shallowness -- only a few feet in some spots -- translates to a bounce off the craggy, cement-like reef with each wipeout. Second Reef is a bit farther out, fringing in the 10- to 18-foot range as it regroups into a First Reef bomb. Third Reef, which starts to come alive at 20-foot-plus, breaks a good half-mile from shore and is rarely surfed.

Images
    about 5 feet or so. the further out its breaking the deeper it is.

woah guys thats crazy thanks for your replies. when you wipeout and hit the reef, isnt it very sharp and you get cut up? or is it not since its a lava reef?

Images
    about 2 feet over the inside.

I dont see how they do it i was just there and seen a pro fall on his head from a 15ft + wave and he survived, there even body-surfers out there its nuts, you will see little kids out there too

I surfed rockies point, which is just down the beach from pipe. The wave there jacks up fast and is pretty steep. At the end of a nice sesh I nose dived and broke the tip off my rental board on the shallow reef. It's pretty freaky to surf there, b/c you're looking down at the reef hoping/wishing you don't fall off cuz you know it's not gonna feel good picking pieces of reef out of your skin!

Hi all.
    I think it is about 5 feet.

Images
    5-2 feet depending on the tide and swell... At low tide there is definetly some exposed reef and that goes for alot of the spot on the North shore!

10. Quote Originally Posted by fockerRN View Post
    I surfed rockies point, which is just down the beach from pipe. The wave there jacks up fast and is pretty steep. At the end of a nice sesh I nose dived and broke the tip off my rental board on the shallow reef. It's pretty freaky to surf there, b/c you're looking down at the reef hoping/wishing you don't fall off cuz you know it's not gonna feel good picking pieces of reef out of your skin!
    what a freakin puss, quit surfing