LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Wave?

Blacks beach, wayy over head. hurricane bill was pretty big too, that was fun! hopefully we get another one like that this summer

probably overhead maybe 1 foot overhead. I often get intimidated by big surf because of my size.

20 ft???? at the cove? your kidding me. You dont mean the one in cape may. Ive lived here all my life and have never seen anything more then 3 or maybe 4 ft over head. Sure it handles bigger swell nice, but if it ever got to anywhere near 20 ft, you can say goodbye to cape may.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfde View Post
    probably overhead maybe 1 foot overhead. I often get intimidated by big surf because of my size.
    Same here, Hurricane Bill was enough for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlongboarder View Post
    20 ft???? at the cove? your kidding me. You dont mean the one in cape may. Ive lived here all my life and have never seen anything more then 3 or maybe 4 ft over head. Sure it handles bigger swell nice, but if it ever got to anywhere near 20 ft, you can say goodbye to cape may.
    No. the La Jolla cove in San Diego. The La Jolla cove doesn't break unless its a minimum 15ft wave face. You paddle out with dry hair, sit on the edge and wait your turn. When I was out last week, they had jetskis helping take guys back out to the lineup. Its a sick big wave spot. Pretty easy as long as you dont sit inside waiting for the set of the day. I won't sit on the inside with the crazier big wave riders, I wait for a nice 18-20 ft shoulder and go for it on my 7'2 pintail.

Images
    Overhead for me although when I was much younger I was out a few times on double overhead days. The older I get the less I am looking for size and the more I want it to be stress free fun. Double overhead is just way too intense unless I am paddling out without out getting hit and like Zach said I could sit safely way out on the shoulder and wait for an open one to come my way. No way am I ever again dropping in on a double over head top to bottom bomb, that would be the end of me .

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlongboarder View Post
    I am saying Cape May .

During Hurrican Cindy it was well OH and consitant with DOH ocassioal sets . If you ask any of the usual guys who would surf The Cove alot they will tell you . There was something in ESM about that Hurrican Swell. There was reports of waves 15-17ft on the average in Cape May depending on what beach you are at

Images
    Probably through Hurricane Bill. That Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I got a few 10-13 footers in that span at a few spots in NJ

double to triple overhead with bigger sets.

Yep... DOH plus... right here in Jerz. But there's a difference between a 15 ft. peak and a 15 foot Maverick's wall. Call me a liar, brother... whatever. I've got nothing to prove to you or anybody. But if you don't think it gets DOH plus around here, maybe you just haven't lived long enough to see it... yet. One more thing... there another difference: between 15 foot storm surf, and 15 ft. rideable groundswell. One nobody wants any part of, and the other every competent surfer does. The difference is you WANT some of that. Don't say you wouldn't, because if its DOH plus and perfect, you couldn't resist.