LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Wave?

Images
    How about a new thread called "Biggest Wave You Have A Picture Of Riding" Hmm I wonder what the biggest wave would be on that thread?

Images
    yea, here is the issue. In San Diego, I have surfed blacks maxing out at about 10 ft. ANything over that size can be ridable, but its not worth the trouble. Other than Blacks beach, there is not a beach break in this country I would really want to surf at a true 10-12 foot DOH. Especially in the mid-atlantic. You will get bamoboozled in sand pulling into that. Which is why once it reaches about 8 feet in San Diego, there is not a human being surfing any break breaks along the whole coast. Droppin into to DOH shorebreak sandbars is not fun. Its just crazy... Paddling out over reefs in a dry deep channel, then dropping into perfectly lines up A frames that peel for 200 yards is a different thing. That is the most fun you will ever haev, 12 foot reef breaks are SICK, then you look at your local beach break and its lethal out. Just dumping into sand... I dont really surf beach breaks all winter. Plus, only places like Blacks with deep water channels will stack up more than really DOH... on Sand, other than Puerto and stuff, beach breaks can only stand up so tall, with no point, reef or obstruction under water to make the wave jack up and double in size, stormy beach break surf really maxes out at a much smaller size... Just meaner and more dangerous though.
    Last edited by zach619; Feb 12, 2010 at 02:17 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedub View Post
    How about a new thread called "Biggest Wave You Have A Picture Of Riding" Hmm I wonder what the biggest wave would be on that thread?
    Photo: Probably about 12-13 foot reef surf. I have photos of that at home. I have video of me out on the 20 foot day at indicator, but its all on a DV tape and I can't figure out how to transfer it all to my laptop cause it doesnt have firewire.... I can't wait for the video. when I got out, i filmed for like another hour and recorded some of the biggest waves San Diego has EVER seen. No lie, I have video of empty, 30+ ft surf. And about 5 minutes of footage of total carnage when the sets rolled through. Demolished everyone out that day... Broke like 2 miles out... People got DESTROYED... I kept filming and have shots of teh Lifeguard cranes lifting Kooks out from the cliffs. Crazy... Once someone can explain to me how the hell to get my video onto my computer, I will upload all kinds of sh**/ I got like 8 years worth of tapes!

Images
    You most likely just need to buy Dazzle, assuming your camcorder has s-video or RCA out.

Head high maybe a little bigger. When I was younger I would paddle out in anything. Now - anything over chest high needs to be real clean. I can't take the pounding anymore. Give me a clean stomach / waist high day with a 12 sec+ interval and I'm a happy camper.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedub View Post
    You most likely just need to buy Dazzle, assuming your camcorder has s-video or RCA out.
    Yeah the dude at best buy said that to me when I called. He said it is like an external box that records all of the video onto itself? Then you plug the laptop into that? Im thinking that is how it works.... Rather than doing a Video Cam to PC transfer, it does a Camera to Dazzle transfer, then you can grab the data off the box...

Its just WAYYY more confusing than I thought it would be. I have tons of software and everything else in place. I really want to pull a ton of the frames out of the video as still shots.... But i just cant get this data digital!!! Its killing me!

Images
    surfed 8-10 with plus sets in Puerto Rico. thats a good enough size for me

Biggest Wave

14'-15' caught a number of Texas Hurricane swells this size over the years but mostly real slopping wave that never completely jack and slam. Caught a great swell in El Salvador in the 15' range on a trip in 2005 to Sunzal, easy to paddle out channel, but a loooong way out. first day I get there and its a solid 8' but looks like a pretty controllable wave, surf it and had a blast, get back to my hotel that evening and check my surfline account on the laptop, in huge letters across the top of the screen, it reads, "Huge Swell to Hit Central America!" For the next 5 days the surf increased by 1 to 2' each day. I would have been totally intimidated had I flown into 12+ surf but because it increased a little each day, I was like "Hey I can handle this" it wasn't until I got the water camera photos developed that I realized how big it really was. Attached is a photo from one of the bigger (but definitely not the biggest) waves.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a better scan of the same pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

might have done a 16. i remember hurricane floyd being pretty big. it was probably at manasquan inlet. i was in down in central america this past november during the big noreaster. i heard it got pretty big, and thats probably the only time i'd rather surf jersey than costa rica.