LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crystal Coast,N.C.
    Posts
    404
    Images
    24

    Quads VS Thrusters

    I recently purchased a custom Tommy Moore quad performance fish. This is the first quad I've ever ridden in many years of surfing. It's the quickest, most responsive board I have ever owned or been on. I started on twins in the 80's and like everyone else went to thrusters when they became the predominate shortboard to ride. I guess i'm looking for some input from others who have ridden both fin setups to see which they prefer and why. I've only had this board out in waist high clean sloping surf and it blew the thrusters I've been on out of the water. I'm curious to if it's the fin setup, the shaper or maybe a combo of both?? I've surfed shortboards from Natural Arts, Hobie, Al Merrick, Quiet Flight, Boneyard and Aipa to name a few. The Hobie was an awesome stick but still doesnt compare to the T. Moore. Thanks for your feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2

    word up

    You present an interesting topic. I learned to surf on a thruster and when I finally rode a qaud I never went back. I have a couple of them now ranging from 5'8" to 6'8". To me its all about speed and fluidity through lines. My main issue with thrusters is when I am dropping in, I feel like I am hanging up on the lip. Also when I am airing out. Its the same problem. I feel like that back fin is holding on to long. I have found with qauds the drops are much looser allowing me set my line quicker on steep faces. When airing out I feel like the qauds allow more of a treking motion, launching and rotating faster, as well as a noticable difference the feasibility to grab on to a rail. When I am airborne the board is already under me... Thrusters are more stable, qauds are looser and thickness = speed. They both have there advantages and disadvantages. Its all about your style, and I am with you on this one. Peace.

  3. #3
    I've surfed twin fins thrusters and single fins, and I've had a 5'10 quad for the past year and I must say it's the most fun board I've owned. It's fast and responsive. I have found though (one of the little treasures) that this board will hold higher up in a barrel. I'd like to get a 5'8 quad if I can find one...

  4. #4
    quads are faster in smaller waves than thrusters due to lesser drag. but if you surfing bigger more powerful waves the quad will slip on your bottom turns and feel out of control if you dont approach the wave correctly. i enjoy the quad setup but have stuck to the thruster so that back fin can hold the board in place on bottom turns and in the barrel for those obx shackalacks and travels abroad. smaller/mushier waves-go with the quad. bigger/steeper waves- stick with the thruster (unless your joe pro)

  5. #5
    Ditto...I use my quad in smaller waves, it catched waves easier and is much faster than my thruster. I usually run a twin-fin setup in it though. Those 2 large keels help me run even faster and don't ever slip out like when I run the quad setup. Although, some prefer a little slip.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ocean, NJ
    Posts
    1,408
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrif22 View Post
    I usually run a twin-fin setup in it though. Those 2 large keels help me run even faster and don't ever slip out like when I run the quad setup.
    That's what I do too.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsk8rmile452 View Post
    quads are faster in smaller waves than thrusters due to lesser drag. but if you surfing bigger more powerful waves the quad will slip on your bottom turns and feel out of control if you dont approach the wave correctly. i enjoy the quad setup but have stuck to the thruster so that back fin can hold the board in place on bottom turns and in the barrel for those obx shackalacks and travels abroad. smaller/mushier waves-go with the quad. bigger/steeper waves- stick with the thruster (unless your joe pro)
    same heres

  8. #8

    5'8" Quad

    Quote Originally Posted by gnargnarshredda View Post
    I've surfed twin fins thrusters and single fins, and I've had a 5'10 quad for the past year and I must say it's the most fun board I've owned. It's fast and responsive. I have found though (one of the little treasures) that this board will hold higher up in a barrel. I'd like to get a 5'8 quad if I can find one...
    You should check out the firewire dominator. I'm sure you've heard of it, but it's great because you can set it up as a quad or a thruster. Here's a link if you want to check it out (just in case you haven't already).
    http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/qu...rdid=dominator

  9. #9
    The dominator is a cool concept but IMO more things go into how a board rides than just its fin setup. So one board with multiple fin setups isn't going to be an all purpose board. You still have to add in rocker concave, board thickness...etc. Most likely you'll find that the board performs best in just one fin setup and the rest are for novelty.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Carolina Beach , NC
    Posts
    96

    Dominator

    Actually,
    The Dominator is exactly made to be kind of an all purpose board man. I owned one and loved it.....I think that it rode equally well with both a quad set up and as a thruster. I did like the quad set up in small waves for the speed however. It is really a fun board with both fin set ups. The design of the Dom is sick in my opinion and is a pretty good all around board. It has more float than your standard short board, but feels much closer to one that many small wave fish designs. Especially when count in the flat rocker that becomes more curved when you get it going....especially out of turns and coming of of bottom turns it kind of springs you. It ride much much better that one would think by just looking at one alone. I have gone custom these past two boards since I had mine, but do miss the feeling of that board. Check out the forum on Firewire's site....Really in depth break downs of alot of things Dominator...Sorry, I know this kind of went on.....