LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: whats the deal?

whats the deal?

why do some guys in the line up act so weird? like say when u paddel out then say wasup to guys already out there and they give u a crazy look! hate that especially when you know you would drop them if you were on land!

umm...really? you have to ask??

in the off chance that you're serious...maybe its b/c some (dare i say most?) people aren't out there to have a conversation w/ a random stranger...

& why does it have to get violent just b/c someone doesn't want to talk to you? are you that insecure?

i might suggest growing up a little...

Images
    I try to wave and smile to see if they are friendly cause Im not an ass in the water .. hell, sometimes Im glad if someone else joins me just so I have some company.

But there's no reason to snub people... you wouldn't be that rude to people on the street would you? I mean on the street, aren't people doing the same thing you're doing... walking to their destination? Aren't we all out there to ride waves? It definitely cuts tension and makes for a better session when people are decent to each other in the water. And by decent I mean at the least acknowledging other people and not acting like you're better than others.

Ive had some excellent sessions with complete strangers, cheering each other on and trading waves. Its fun you should try it sometime!

Images
    Maybe that why they dont say hi back to you . Cause they dont know you and they take you as a safty risk to the rest of the established group. To them you are a liaibilty until you prove your self other wise.

I kinda dont blame them type of people when you go right up to them . Would you go right up to a complete stranger on the street and say hi and sit next to them ?????

If you sit off to the side wait your turn and kinda show everyone you know what you are doing and maybe you wont get such a cold shoulder.

Images
    Yeah, Im not saying I go up sit next to them and try to talk to people or chit chat.. I will wave cause most people are a few dozen yards down.. just a simple wave of acknowledgement when its only you and one other guy out, good waves, its cold/nasty, but you and him are stoked. Friendliness keeps the world going 'round

I give a nod with the head, nothing more nothing less. Im out there to catch something good, not to miss a set because I was too busy talking about non sense...

a head nod and whats up normally im surfing around work so i got to get it in when i can cant waste it talking to everyone that paddles out esp in vabeach i would never get to surf i would spend the session saying hello

The whole lack of hearing with the hood and the way the hood skews your face shape could be a factor here...

Images
    I don't think you're missing too much of anything in vabeach...

this is what i do in a strange lineup: keep the distance and be EXTREMELY respectful of everyone for at least an hour or so, and talk to none. Simply let the surfing do the talking, and infiltrate up towards the peak/ best take-off zone.

AFTER establishing non-kook status,

IF something awesome happens, i'll compliment another surfer, or remark on the quality of the last set, coldness of the water ext, ext. whatever, blah blah....

IF the other surfers are responsive, we make fast friends/whatever happens, go with it.

you cant expect to just paddle out and start chatting with unknowns.