LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Paddling question

I have been surfing for about 6 yrs now and my arms still get tired pritty fast. The more I am in thr water the longer I last but do not have an endurance for long paddles or when I have to fight threw waves to get out. I think I tend to paddle farely deep like I am swimming. Should I be paddling shallower, top of the water, or does anyone have any other sugestions. Thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallingsky View Post
    I have been surfing for about 6 yrs now and my arms still get tired pritty fast. The more I am in thr water the longer I last but do not have an endurance for long paddles or when I have to fight threw waves to get out. I think I tend to paddle farely deep like I am swimming. Should I be paddling shallower, top of the water, or does anyone have any other sugestions. Thanks
    It's probably the winter chills sucking away your energy, but I've heard that angling your arms underneath your board at the apex (if that's what you'd call it) of your stroke is supposed to help. Maybe make sure that your are getting a full stroke thus getting the most energy out of each stroke.

For me,I go with smooth deep strokes keeping my arms close to the board.For endurance I run so that helps me to stay in shape for paddleing.

It is worse in the winter cause of the cold but I still notice it in the summer to. I had bought my wife a treadmill that she does not use so I am starting to use it to build up endurance. I am also starting to do yoga to help prevent neck and back injuries. I tend to get tweeked alot for not streatching and keep limber. It tough getting older snd noticing you can't just do what you use to.

Images
    It is worse in the winter cause of the cold but I still notice it in the summer to. I had bought my wife a treadmill that she does not use so I am starting to use it to build up endurance. I am also starting to do yoga to help prevent neck and back injuries. I tend to get tweeked alot for not streatching and keep limber. It tough getting older snd noticing you can't just do what you use to.
    i'm still young lad and i almost got tendonitis in my dorsal area (big shoulderblade muscle on the back) from being a paddling freak during the summer. So now I have to do paddling warm-ups every time I got out.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by terra-firma intolerant View Post
    i'm still young lad and i almost got tendonitis in my dorsal area (big shoulderblade muscle on the back) from being a paddling freak during the summer. So now I have to do paddling warm-ups every time I got out.
    i have tendonitis and arthritis in my knees from squating and dislocating. but as for paddling just go out paddle around on a longboard. and practice swimming in a pool. then just lift weights for upper body.

A few things I'm gonna suggest. I've tried a lot of different work-out regiments and here's what I've found. Take it for what it's worth, but remember, genetics has a lot to do with it. Your body type is gonna be different than mine, and I'm sure not quite as good looking

DIET!!! What are you eating before you go out? I find during the summer I can get away with fruit, whole wheat bread sandwiches, some pretzels maybe and I'm fine for at least 4 hours before I gotta refuel. Pretty light stuff In the winter, I find I reallllllly need to load up a bit more. Fluffer nutters rule!!! Plenty of protein from the peanut butter and a healthy does of marshmellow to give you that initial dose of sugar when that cold water hits your face and you need the xtra motivation. But you really need to focus on what you eat a couple hours before you go out. Are you eating breakfast? Are you eating healthy on days you don't surf? Etc..... Work on that first. Easy fix too bc its more habit than anything. Even when it's Lake Atlantic out there, you can still adjust your diet and be conscious of it.

Cardio stinks. Here's the biggest issue I find with every single surf thread that has anything to do with work-out regiments. They all say "Run" or "Do laps in the pool" or "Weight train". WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT??? If you're lucky enough to have a gym membership, do your best to mimic the "cardio" of surfing. This, above everything else, is a constant start/stop motion. Think about it. You paddle out for 5 minutes we'll say. Then you sit. And sit a bit more. Then you see the set, but you say, "nah, too small" so you sit a little bit more. Then the set comes. You drop your jaw and paddle like a son-of-a-b**ch for maybe a minute? Maybe 30 seconds? But yet the consistent advice is to run miles at a time. Sprints baby. Sprint 1 minute. Jog 1 minute. Repeat till your nipples bleed. Better yet, which is what I do, SUPER SETS.

Super sets pretty much consist of 3 exercises, back-to-back of moderate wieight. Doing 10-15 reps of each exercise, depending on your skill and "motiviation" that day, and then resting. I do at least one exercies that targets each body part each day. And then let my body tell me what other exercises I should do after that. Remember too, never ever seperate your days into "body part" days. You should be doing complete and whole body workouts everyday. The idea behind building endurance and muscle is repeatedly "tearing and rebuilding" muscle tissue. You can't do this by focusing on 2 muscles groups one day a week. I use mainly body weight. I absolutely agree with the Yoga aspect, but try to incorporate that into more of a daily routine.

Jump rope. Push ups. Pull ups. Box jumps. Turn the bosu ball upside down and do stuff on that. The last thing you want to do also is hit any kind of heavy weight. Surfing means you have to be able to handle your own weight. So what's the point in adding muscle mass only to paddle it out? You have to determine on your own what your ideal body weight is for your body type. If you go beyond that, your gonna have more muscle, but less ability to paddle it through the water. If you go under that, you're gonna have less weight, but also less muscle to paddle that weight. Thus, if you incorporate a lot of body weight exercises into your regiment, you should come out ahead when you get on the water.

Sorry for the lengthy input, but I think I just got ultimately tired of hearing the same recycled advice, which, for the most part, has no scientific or logical explanation. Mine does fools.

Anyone else have success using the start/stop method? Anyone else ever try it?
    Last edited by johnnyd; Feb 17, 2010 at 03:03 AM.

run & SWIM for endurance...i like to hold one of those little foam blocks between my legs to keep myself from kicking a lot of the time...weight work geared towards endurance will improve your paddling as well...anything that works the shoulder muscles is good...low weight/high reps for that, tho. you don't want to get bulky.
    that said, the best exercise for paddling is paddling. in more pleasant weather, i like to take either my 9'6" log or my dad's 10'6" paddleboard (NOT a SUP!) & just go out & paddle when its flat.
    the upshot of all this is that if your form has a flaw in it, it will be sorted out by all that paddling. your body will naturally pick the mechanics that best suit it.

Images
    find a pool, seriously. it helps.