LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Cool the future of surfing

what do think the future holds for surfing in the area's of:

forcasting!

board design

wetsuits!

safety

and style ( there is a big movemnt of people going back to retro boards) (but then again everyones on speed and coke trying to do the next big air)
    Last edited by staystoked; Feb 24, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

I can see these big corporations really saturating are sport,sort of like nascar.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    I can see these big corporations really saturating are sport,sort of like nascar.
    kinda like they've done for the last 30 years or so???

yep they use pro surfers to sell the ''dream'' to the consumer so we can all aspire to be like them and buy what they wear or use

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    kinda like they've done for the last 30 years or so???
    Im not talking companies like Billabong or quicksilver.Im talking companies that don't belong near the sport.

Im not talking companies like Billabong or quicksilver.Im talking companies that don't belong near the sport.
    like who and what?

Interesting topic, I've always thought about this.

I think some pretty bad things are in store. In time, our breaks are going to become so crowded and more and more guys' attitudes will be turning aggro and surfing will no longer be peaceful. Adrenaline will be running due to human conflict, not because someone's getting shacked. There will be no such thing as traveling to explore new breaks because each and every place that breaks good will be held down by a staunch crew who will not welcome any outsiders.

I would really like to think that it will never be as bad as I imagine, but even today I am seeing where this lifestyle may be headed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by staystoked View Post
    what do think the future holds for surfing in the area's of:

forcasting!

---- I think forecasting has gotten as close as we are going to get to perfection. I mean, the weather changes so rapidly, there will never be a way to see further into the future than we do now... Now as far as REPORTING, that has a ton of room for improvement. For instance, you get 2 decent reports daily from Surfline at my home break... Throughout the day though, what surfline lists as 4-6 feet will be 2-3 at some point, then 7-8 etc, then back down depending on the hour. So a more REALTIME report system will happen. It will just costs a bunch of money. But in 10 years, I would imagine you could get EXACT wave and surf data in almost real time.

board design
    ------ this is what will change the most. Fundamentally, boards need to be similar to what they are now, but with the epoxy revolution and quad fins, the posibilities are endless. I think in maybe 8-10 years there will be some extreme innovation.... But no matter what ive always tried, i always go back to my poly/thruster shortie....

safety
    ----- Not much we can do, unless we remoevd reefs from the water, all of us wear helmets and put up Chark netting around all of our favorite spots.... Surfing will never be "safer" really... Which is why we all live with risks in our daily lives. We all take a risk, nothing we can do about that...

and style ( there is a big movemnt of people going back to retro boards) (but then again everyones on speed and coke trying to do the next big air)
    ----- The movement of retro happened out here in SD like 7 years ago... And now, I saw it all dissapear. Trust me, once you ride around on some big chunky fish or single fin all summer, you will remember quickly how far we have advanced, and if its not being ridden on the world tour, you probably shouldnt be riding it daily. And as for the comment about AIRS etc... I see surfing style going MUCH more aerial oriented. I had to add a few airs to my bag of tricks to even stand out around here. Every turn kids do these days involves a ridiculous body torque and corksrew maneuver with a railgrab and a 260 air at the end. I mean, if you plan on getting into competetive surfing, you better get your air game right. Not to mention the fact that in my opinio, there is no trick in the entire surfing world that feels better than landing an air. My favorite is a simple air reverse. I will take one of those over a barrel anyday. And yes, i have started the Barrel/Air old guy young guy debate many times. Its just my personal opinion.

Images
    THESE are all my comments. It quoted something when i posted that, but these are my responses.

forcasting!

---- I think forecasting has gotten as close as we are going to get to perfection. I mean, the weather changes so rapidly, there will never be a way to see further into the future than we do now... Now as far as REPORTING, that has a ton of room for improvement. For instance, you get 2 decent reports daily from Surfline at my home break... Throughout the day though, what surfline lists as 4-6 feet will be 2-3 at some point, then 7-8 etc, then back down depending on the hour. So a more REALTIME report system will happen. It will just costs a bunch of money. But in 10 years, I would imagine you could get EXACT wave and surf data in almost real time.

board design
    ------ this is what will change the most. Fundamentally, boards need to be similar to what they are now, but with the epoxy revolution and quad fins, the posibilities are endless. I think in maybe 8-10 years there will be some extreme innovation.... But no matter what ive always tried, i always go back to my poly/thruster shortie....

safety
    ----- Not much we can do, unless we remoevd reefs from the water, all of us wear helmets and put up Shark netting around all of our favorite spots.... Surfing will never be "safer" really... Which is why we all live with risks in our daily lives. We all take a risk, nothing we can do about that...

----- The movement of retro happened out here in SD like 7 years ago... And now, I saw it all dissapear. Trust me, once you ride around on some big chunky fish or single fin all summer, you will remember quickly how far we have advanced, and if its not being ridden on the world tour, you probably shouldnt be riding it daily. And as for the comment about AIRS etc... I see surfing style going MUCH more aerial oriented. I had to add a few airs to my bag of tricks to even stand out around here. Every turn kids do these days involves a ridiculous body torque and corksrew maneuver with a railgrab and a 260 air at the end. I mean, if you plan on getting into competetive surfing, you better get your air game right. Not to mention the fact that in my opinio, there is no trick in the entire surfing world that feels better than landing an air. My favorite is a simple air reverse. I will take one of those over a barrel anyday. And yes, i have started the Barrel/Air old guy young guy debate many times. Its just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ridewaves View Post
    I would really like to think that it will never be as bad as I imagine, but even today I am seeing where this lifestyle may be headed.
    thats pretty depressing and pessimistic but hopefully down the line in time there be alot more artificial waves like the fake ocean in japan and more ppl will be at these sick ass perfict wave water parks and the real ocean with its raw and beautiful energey will only remain slightly crowded