Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cool the future of surfing

what do think the future holds for surfing in the area's of:

forcasting!

board design

wetsuits!

safety

and style ( there is a big movemnt of people going back to retro boards) (but then again everyones on speed and coke trying to do the next big air)
    Last edited by staystoked; Feb 24, 2010 at 01:32 AM.

I can see these big corporations really saturating are sport,sort of like nascar.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    I can see these big corporations really saturating are sport,sort of like nascar.
    kinda like they've done for the last 30 years or so???

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    kinda like they've done for the last 30 years or so???
    Im not talking companies like Billabong or quicksilver.Im talking companies that don't belong near the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    Im not talking companies like Billabong or quicksilver.Im talking companies that don't belong near the sport.
    like who and what?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by staystoked View Post
    like who and what?
    Nike, Hollister, Target, Channell, Walmart , Fox, Ralph Lauren I could go on but these are the lastest and greatest of companies who are only involved in surfing for there own personal gain and dont care if they exploit surifng and leave it in shambles after they sucked the origionality out of it

Interesting topic, I've always thought about this.

I think some pretty bad things are in store. In time, our breaks are going to become so crowded and more and more guys' attitudes will be turning aggro and surfing will no longer be peaceful. Adrenaline will be running due to human conflict, not because someone's getting shacked. There will be no such thing as traveling to explore new breaks because each and every place that breaks good will be held down by a staunch crew who will not welcome any outsiders.

I would really like to think that it will never be as bad as I imagine, but even today I am seeing where this lifestyle may be headed.

Quote Originally Posted by ridewaves View Post
    I would really like to think that it will never be as bad as I imagine, but even today I am seeing where this lifestyle may be headed.
    thats pretty depressing and pessimistic but hopefully down the line in time there be alot more artificial waves like the fake ocean in japan and more ppl will be at these sick ass perfict wave water parks and the real ocean with its raw and beautiful energey will only remain slightly crowded

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ridewaves View Post
    Interesting topic, I've always thought about this.

I think some pretty bad things are in store. In time, our breaks are going to become so crowded and more and more guys' attitudes will be turning aggro and surfing will no longer be peaceful. Adrenaline will be running due to human conflict, not because someone's getting shacked. There will be no such thing as traveling to explore new breaks because each and every place that breaks good will be held down by a staunch crew who will not welcome any outsiders.

Maybe its the bad economy, but since I live in arguably the most crowded surfing area in the country, it began getting really really bad. It maxed out about 5 years ago. There was not a human that lived in the City of SD that didn't own a surfboard. And by god, they showed up at the beach everyday....

But in the past 2 years, the reverse has been happening. Less Brazilians showing up ruining our summer. Less kooks from Boston and NYC that moved out here and walk around in redsox hats and foam boards under their arms...

Maybe the economy will bring more people back to the water, but for once, I think most people lately have "tried" surfing, and 9 out of 10 people don't have the dedication to EVER stick with it... So I think we made it through a tough decade of wannabes and invasion of our lifestyles, but when the smoke clears, we are the only ones left....

I mean, OC MD will always be filled with ridiculous crowds all summer, but do I think a bunch of guys visiting from the street of Baltimore are going to start charging all the waves? No, I think that will never happen. Its a novelty for most. Its a life for us.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Its a novelty for most. Its a life for us.
    sick quote.

all it takes is one major box office movie hit of some celeb catching phonie waves to insppire alllll the koooks out there to invade again