LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

tsunami warning in hawaii

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...ngs_2010-02-27

where is laird going to tow in?

I hope the place doesn't get demolished

Northender Guest
    i know, I was suppose to be going to kauai in a week, my plans might be changed...

I'm curious...for an area that is used to large waves and lots of swell energy on a regular basis, why are they so worried about a seven-foot tsunami wave? They're not even talking Hawaiian-scale, just regular old seven feet, the way us haole mainlanders know it. I'm sure the biggest thing anyone there needs to worry about is getting run over by a news van rushing to cover the incoming ripple.

Images
    because its a series of waves that continually push into shore which could drown the typical beach goer.

A 7-foot tsunami is akin to a 7-foot tide or storm surge coming in, in minutes.

Wind makes normal waves; like when you blow on your soup, it makes ripples; whereas a tsunami is like shaking the bowl.

you think its only going to be 7ft? i dont know bro...

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ea...-1220pm_41375/

Quote Originally Posted by ughVeeBee View Post
    I'm curious...for an area that is used to large waves and lots of swell energy on a regular basis, why are they so worried about a seven-foot tsunami wave? They're not even talking Hawaiian-scale, just regular old seven feet, the way us haole mainlanders know it. I'm sure the biggest thing anyone there needs to worry about is getting run over by a news van rushing to cover the incoming ripple.
    You must not know what a tsumani really does... its not just a "wave" its a massive surge of water. Picture all the water being sucked away from the shore where the tsumani will hit and then a couple minutes later all that water returning to land in a massive destructive surge hat will most likey eclipse the beaches and move inland bringing with it unmanageable amouts of flooding and destruction. This cycle can repeat itself multiple times much like an aftershock of an earthquake until eventually the surges will subside and the only thing left to do is tally the damage and hope for no loss of life.

Lets hope Hawaii does not encounter the full brunt of what this tsunami may be.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPin View Post
    A 7-foot tsunami is akin to a 7-foot tide or storm surge coming in, in minutes.

Wind makes normal waves; like when you blow on your soup, it makes ripples; whereas a tsunami is like shaking the bowl.
    Right on, I understand that. Of course it's not going to be some smooth wave breaking over the reef and peeling for a minute. Just seems like a typical decent swell there causes more energy to come ashore than whatever they're saying is going to happen.

We recently had a couple surges in that range here recently, very choppy but I didn't see CNN try to stop the world for that.

The news just showed one of the warning sirens start blaring, right when it started a big blast of white feathers came flying out the front of it. Casualty number one.

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    you think its only going to be 7ft? i dont know bro...

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ea...-1220pm_41375/
    Maybe, red is a very scary color.

That's just what they said...7 or maybe 8 feet.

Please nobody misunderstand me, I know a tsunami is a destructive force. My point is that it seems like they are just very used to that much energy coming from the ocean.

Is it just because it's coming from the south and the the north is used to more energy?