LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Belmar (DiRty JErz)
    Posts
    256
    Images
    20

    Winter Surfing Paper

    essay for my writing class to explain something i enjoy doing. anyting about whether i left something out or my language is to surf oriented and will be hard for regular people to understand. anthing will help, please leave comments on what you think!



    Surfing is something that not many people think about daily, especially in the dead of winter. But to those few who do think of it, it is something magical. Surfing in the winter is an unexplainable experience that will change someone forever. The community that you find in the ocean at sunrise on a freezing February morning is something that a plethora of people would have nightmares about, but a small minority would dream about. There is something extraordinarily special about surfing in the winter, and many things go along with it.
    Usually when people think of surfing, they think of the beautiful beaches of Hawaii on a perfect summer day, but for the surfing community of New Jersey, that is just a small figure of our imagination. Instead we think of having to put on a wetsuit while being outside in 10 degree weather. In New Jersey, waves change enormously from summer to winter. The waves get heavier, or thicker, making them much harder to ride. The type of equipment changes as well, going from a pair of board shorts, to a wetsuit, Vaseline, and a strong mental mind. The fact of needing a wetsuit is self explanatory, in order to keep the body warm, but Vaseline and a strong mental mind are two things the average person would not expect a surfer to have. In order to keep surfers faces from getting frostbite or hypothermia while going under water, people apply Vaseline to their faces. Since a wetsuit covers everything on a person but their face, Vaseline is an essential tool to have with you before you paddle out. Now, these things will help immensely, but more is needed to survive the conditions of the Atlantic. A person’s mind needs to be strong because after going under 34 degree water five times in a row, most people feel like giving up and heading right into shore, getting in their car, and having a nice warm shower. But the fact is, if you want to be successful, you need to stay focused and be strong, for what you are doing is not easy, making persistency key.
    The surfing community that emerges during the winter is my favorite part. Being able to find a spot and surf with your best friend all alone for three hours is the greatest. In a typical New Jersey summer, you will find a million people in the ocean, some trying to surf, some not, but still making a surfers life difficult. But the winter is different. In the winter, you could say the “true surfers,” come out. If you are surfing in the winter, you need to be experienced, you need to be strong, and most of all, you need to be courageous. You will find many things in the summer that you might not find in the winter. For example, seeing girls and older people, is something fairly rare to see in the summer. Sure, you will still see both of them, but the majority of the crowd will be young kids and men.
    Surfing in the winter might either sound like a pain in the neck, or the ride of a lifetime. But no matter what you think, surfing in the winter will help you with anything, whether is physical or mental. Your mental toughness will grow, making you more determined and persistent, along with your physical toughness. Surfing with 15 pounds of equipment on your back will help your physical state as well. After surfing with 15 pounds of equipment on, then going to Costa Rica on a surf trip and surfing in just a bathing suit, your surfing will be 10 times better because of the freedom you will have. Your wetsuit restricts movement of the body while surfing, so taking that off will definitely help you, just ask anyone who has done it before.
    Surfing in the winter is something that I think all people should try. Whether they like it or not is up to them. It is a great source for letting out emotions, as well an excellent workout. Being able to surf in the winter is a great blessing that I feel all people should be able to experience.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,455
    there are some structural issues, but the main thing i'm left wondering after reading your essay is: yes, but what of it? what's your point? why are you telling me all this?
    in short, what's your thesis?

    the structural issues that you have in your paper are a small issue compared to the seeming lack of focus that runs throughout.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ventnor
    Posts
    133
    nice man!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Belmar (DiRty JErz)
    Posts
    256
    Images
    20
    njsurfer, i understand completely what your saying but this is just a draft i typed up in about 25 minutes or so, not really focussing on strucutural issues, anything like that. but the main focus is to inforn abobut the experience of a winter surfer. the reason i posted was becuase i questioned myself after writing it. any advice on how to make the thesis more reconizable would be great

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    1,366
    "you will surf 10x better" - proven. when you surf in the winter in nj and then surf in costa rica, you go from mediocre to pro in 1 plane ride

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,455
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySurfRat89 View Post
    njsurfer, i understand completely what your saying but this is just a draft i typed up in about 25 minutes or so, not really focussing on strucutural issues, anything like that. but the main focus is to inforn abobut the experience of a winter surfer. the reason i posted was becuase i questioned myself after writing it. any advice on how to make the thesis more reconizable would be great
    first, you need to figure out what it is that you want to say. obviously, you're trying to convey just how much you enjoy surfing, esp. in the winter. your essay, as it currently stands, does not get that message across.
    i suggest starting w/ a small anecdote. paint a vivid picture in your audience's mind of just what surfing in the winter is like. describe the creeping chill that you feel as you wade into the water, or the way your breath catches in your chest as the water slaps you in the face for the first time. the way the world is muffled when you have a wetsuit hood on. use metaphors & similes in your writing...it really makes your piece stand out from all the other "this is why i like blah, blah, blah..." essays. it makes what you're talking about tangible. & if your reader is someone who's never surfed before, it'll make all the difference.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    "you will surf 10x better" - proven. when you surf in the winter in nj and then surf in costa rica, you go from mediocre to pro in 1 plane ride
    haha great quote. hopefullly that works for me too because im going there in a month!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Long branch
    Posts
    664
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyav13 View Post
    haha great quote. hopefullly that works for me too because im going there in a month!!
    i just got back from costa rica
    next year im going to either el salvador, ecuador, or peru....

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseysurfrat89 View Post
    being able to surf in the winter is a great blessing that i feel all people should be able to experience.
    i disagree. No one should be able to expierence it except me. I hate it when i paddle out in the winter and there are people surfing. This sport used to be fun until the invention of surf cameras, wetsuits and the internet. Thats something you should write a paper on.

    -slade

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wildwood ,Nj
    Posts
    3,080
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Slade View Post
    i disagree. No one should be able to expierence it except me. I hate it when i paddle out in the winter and there are people surfing. This sport used to be fun until the invention of surf cameras, wetsuits and the internet. Thats something you should write a paper on.

    -slade
    Okay Jimmy for one thing surfing isnt a "sport" Its a lifestyle and if you feel its a sport you have no understanding of surfing. Also if you there wasnt internet, Wetsuits, Or cams how would you surf in the winter without a wetsuit ???And dont say I would go someplace warm for the winter cause not everyone has the option todo that.

    The foward movement of surfing and it technology is constantly making it better. As long as we keep non surfing companies away that dont care about the advancement in surfing and only to make a quick dollar we should be good
    Last edited by MATT JOHNSON; Mar 1, 2010 at 10:57 PM.