LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: Which of the newest wetsuits feature the best combination of the newest technologies

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ripcurl F-Bomb Chest Zip

13 20.63%
  • O'Neill Psyco Freak

7 11.11%
  • Body Glove Vapor Slant Zip

2 3.17%
  • Xcel Infinity Dry Lock

25 39.68%
  • Matuse Tumo

4 6.35%
  • Quiksilver Cypher

4 6.35%
  • Billabong SG5

0 0%
  • Matuse Hoplite

2 3.17%
  • West Lotus

2 3.17%
  • Patagonia R4

4 6.35%
  • Hotline Reflex

0 0%
  • Other

5 7.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    yeah I just checked there site bummer that just put me back on the fence
    i dunno, w/ as warm as this stuff is supposed to be, i doubt it will make much of a difference.

Images
    well i never had split toes so I cant say if I woudl like them or not. 5 finger gloves just bother me . It make my hands feel all swollen like someone bashed them with a hammer and there all puffy

Quote Originally Posted by taylorparr View Post
    If you are looking for flexibility over warmth, i know that oneill claims the psychofreak is as warm as suits 1-1.5 mm thicker. I have never owned one, so you would need confirmation from someone who has one, but if this is the case, then you could probably get away with a 3.5/4.5 psychofreak.
    My current suit is a Psychofreak 3.5/2.5 & it took me through VB's winter. I was so warm that I bought a cap (vs a hood) so I wouldn't overheat. Water dipped into the high 30s in January. This wetsuit flexes like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by shorepoints View Post
    Just go to a GOOD surf shop and try a bunch of suits, boots, and gloves on. 5-mil boots should get you through the winter in South Jersey. Good 3-mil gloves should also get you through. (I recommend Xcel Drylock boots/gloves).

As for what kind of suit to get, if you are only getting one suit and want the most versatility for NJ, I would recommend the XCEL 4/3 Hooded Drylock. I used it through the winter last year in north NJ. You can also wear it in the transitional months and just flip down the hood.

If you are on a tight budget, the O'Neill Mutant 4/3 might be worth a look because you can convert it into a hooded suit for cold days and a regular neck for warmer days.
    really?? 3mm gloves in january?? i have always heard atleast 5mm. whats everyone elses opinion on this??

Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    really?? 3mm gloves in january?? i have always heard atleast 5mm. whats everyone elses opinion on this??
    For me 3MM gloves down to as low as 44-45 water temp, as long as the air temp isn't freezing. This assumes you have good gloves that don't leak. Any leaks, and all bets are off. Below 44 water temp (or air below 30) and I go with 5MM lobster claws.

For me 3MM gloves down to as low as 44-45 water temp, as long as the air temp isn't freezing. This assumes you have good gloves that don't leak. Any leaks, and all bets are off. Below 44 water temp (or air below 30) and I go with 5MM lobster claws.
    why claws over 5 finger?? do you think 7mm booties are ever necessary in south Jersey??

Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    why claws over 5 finger?? do you think 7mm booties are ever necessary in south Jersey??
    for 5mm I prefer claws over 5 fingers
    less seams, plus it keeps three of your fingers together for more warmth. having the index and thumb separate is enough maneuverability for me to grab the board, duck dive etc...

I go 5 fingers for a 3mm

As for the boots, some days I've found myself wanting 7mm in OCMD

Quote Originally Posted by Driftingalong View Post
    for 5mm I prefer claws over 5 fingers
    less seams, plus it keeps three of your fingers together for more warmth. having the index and thumb separate is enough maneuverability for me to grab the board, duck dive etc...

I go 5 fingers for a 3mm

As for the boots, some days I've found myself wanting 7mm in OCMD
    Boot thickness is very personal. Depends on your circulation/tolerance. My PERSONAL rule is to go as thin as you can and still be warm. For me, 5MM Drylock Split-Toe keeps me warm in winter north NJ. For others, perhaps not.

Images
    I prefer mits over gloves . I cant weat 5 mil gloves plus with mits your hands will be warmer cause most of you fingers are closer together. For boots I use 7 mils cause I hate when my feet get cold once that does I am done for the day

My PERSONAL rule is to go as thin as you can and still be warm.

i operate off of this principle as well...& in the dead of winter, that means 5mil roundtoe boots w/ a pair of socks underneath (makes the boots a TON warmer! try it!), & either 3mil or 5mil 5 finger gloves. i like to have as much dexterity as i can (which precludes mitts or claws, IMO) & have found that if i can wiggle my fingers, they will stay quite a bit warmer. which i wear on which day depends on the wind & air temp. i wore the 5mils A LOT last winter.
    i'm also one of those guys who tries to wear a 4/3 thru the entire winter. generally i succeed, except on the absolute coldest of days (& last winter).