LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Popular spots and the odds of things turning around

We all know every beach has its obvious and overcrowded breaks. Then there are the more secret spots and the spots that only work in certain conditions. I'm wondering if spots ever get so overcrowded that they eventually go back to being chill. I'm thinking its not possible though because with every generation of newbs, comes more people to bloat those breaks. Anyone ever witnessed any crowded spots do a 180?

I've seen it a few times. usually the break changes through replenishment or nature so it goes to crap and people just leave. what typically happens is some locals keep a watchful eye on the spot and in a year or 2 it begins to come back. They have it to themselves for a bit and then the hordes return.

i know a spot where the exact thing you just mentioned is happening..

I have noticed Windansea ebb and flow over the years. Magazine spreads on a spot will also devastate it with crowds -- some of those spots return to their better days and some don't -- seems like too many of them don't.

Images
    Yeah I guess changing breaks would affect things. The place that made me think of this thread has been exploited for years though.

Sandy Hook NJ comes to mind, but in my day it rarely got crowded by todays standards. It was a great spot that was a bit out of the way for most when they could bypass it, go further south and be guarranteed a better wave. There were days of chest high and bigger surf breaking at all the jetties and no one would be out. Then there were days of waist high crap and everyone would be there. The ebb for Sandy Hook was a direct result of the pumping which covered and ruined several of the east coasts best breaks. Even the cove is a joke copared to the past. Not sure if this counts since it wasn't the extreme crowds that caused people to look elsewhere it was the complete annihilation of the break.

it will reach a saturation point thats for sure. the last good swell at poverty i was down and there were quite a few guys passing on a session due to crowds.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Sandy Hook NJ comes to mind, but in my day it rarely got crowded by todays standards. It was a great spot that was a bit out of the way for most when they could bypass it, go further south and be guarranteed a better wave. There were days of chest high and bigger surf breaking at all the jetties and no one would be out. Then there were days of waist high crap and everyone would be there. The ebb for Sandy Hook was a direct result of the pumping which covered and ruined several of the east coasts best breaks. Even the cove is a joke copared to the past. Not sure if this counts since it wasn't the extreme crowds that caused people to look elsewhere it was the complete annihilation of the break.
    I remember when The Cove at it highest point on a good Nor eastern you would seen 30 plus guys fighting for postion off the rock pile. Seen alot of guys get worked there too . Now it very rare to seen it Pump like it use too. There is a Spot in OCNJ I got to that is good very often but never really has a huge crowd maybe 10-15 guys at the most but spread out. Local knowledge is key to knowing where to go

I think older guys will drop out because of crowds. I am kinda known as an anti crowd person by everyone around here. I will walk a half mile down the beach to find a crappy wave to myself rather than surf with a crowd of people all bent on showing each other up. Before I started shaping I was getting pretty fed up and would skip sessions or cut sessions short because of the crazy crowds, I could see myself just stopping some day because of it, but after 35 years or so it is a hard habit to break.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    I have noticed Windansea ebb and flow over the years. Magazine spreads on a spot will also devastate it with crowds -- some of those spots return to their better days and some don't -- seems like too many of them don't.
    Yeah there are quite a few spots in that area that have been relatively empty all winter. I am not sure why, but I am not complaining or even gonna ask. The ebb-flow will soon enough go back the other way =(