LOGIN | REGISTER

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    anyone else notice the temp on the forecast page.

    55* ummmmmm I think this maybe one of those near shore off shore temp. anomalies

  2. #2
    I think it's a fluke, but those buoys are way the hell out in the ocean sometimes. The other night I saw it at like 86 on the NODC site for The Battery in New York. That was WAY off. Everything else was reading like 46, but The Battery was 86. How about Buxton, and Frisco NC? 71? If so I gotta get down there right away! Thats gotta be way out though cause nowhere on the East Coast is that high yet aside from South Florida.

    You talking about Ocean City MD? Thats the only one I read 55. Then again I have usually seen the temperature for OCMD at like 82, while Cape May, VB and everywhere between was like 74.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,436
    Images
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    55* ummmmmm I think this maybe one of those near shore off shore temp. anomalies
    If you mean OCMD..pretty sure the water temp used to come from the Coast Guard station...so in the bay. The water temp at that station will fluctuate 10 degrees or more in the spring depending on whether the tide is coming in (cold) or going out (warm)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    If you mean OCMD..pretty sure the water temp used to come from the Coast Guard station...so in the bay. The water temp at that station will fluctuate 10 degrees or more in the spring depending on whether the tide is coming in (cold) or going out (warm)
    Yes, the ocean city water temp is coming from a buoy right inside the inlet, and can sometimes have some dramatic shifts. This can often be reflected when surfing at the inlet, where it might be much warmer that mid town during the right tides.

  5. #5
    Oh gotcha yea outgoing tide with all that warm water coming out of the bay would do it sorry I thought the temp reading was off the swell bouy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    oceanview,delaware
    Posts
    146

    Question

    i've been noticing that bouy temp reading for here in de/oc fluctuating 4-5 degrees every few days. i haven't noticed it being up to 55F yet,but i was seeing 44F-49F in the last few days.it was going up,then down the next day.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,436
    Images
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyboarddude View Post
    i've been noticing that bouy temp reading for here in de/oc fluctuating 4-5 degrees every few days. i haven't noticed it being up to 55F yet,but i was seeing 44F-49F in the last few days.it was going up,then down the next day.
    Heres a link to the station:

    Crazy...Water temp was 55.6 at 2:30 this morning and is now down to 47.5. at 7 a.m.with the incoming tide

    http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=ocim2

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    Yes, the ocean city water temp is coming from a buoy right inside the inlet, and can sometimes have some dramatic shifts. This can often be reflected when surfing at the inlet, where it might be much warmer that mid town during the right tides.
    And the inlet can also have dramatic shifts in smell as well. haha.