LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Leash question

Hybrid View

Leash question

I have one of those cheap leashes that came with my bodyboard. Every time I let my board go and duck under the water to avoid a wave(rather than duckdiving) the leash snaps! So of course I have to turtle or duckdive to avoid breaking the leash. I bought 3 leashes last year and they snapped twice before I decided I simply wasn't going to let go of my board. Anyway, just wondering. If I get one of those coiled more expensive leashes will it not snap every session if I let the board go in 5 foot waves?

Images
    yes, a coil leash should not break unless you are surfing XL size waves. And, in general, you'll want to duck dive as much as possible rather than ditching your board (allthough of course there are times when ditching the board is wise).

Thanks for the info.Well, next time this leash breaks. I'm going to spring for a coiled leash.

Images
    If you can go with a bicep leash. I know someone who has one and he says it doesnt feel like a leash is even there.

Arrow

i HATE having anything on my hands or arms when 'boardin,so i use a XM surfing leash on my foot with a low profile plug on the left side of the tail of my board. this combo,although seems weird, has held up through every hurricane & overhead swell that's come through for years. i did actually wear through the string that connects the leash & plug recently,but it didn't break during a session & i replaced it & kept using the same set up. i have found that when anything happens i.e. wipeouts,quick ducks under big waves etc.,it's much easier to have the board leashed to my foot. BTW,i am a prone-only rider,i don't know how this set-up would work for drop knees...

Ha, never thought of using a surf leash on a BB. Does it get in the way or tangle up when kicking? Maybe I'll try it out on one of my old boards.

I recently picked up the No. 6 The Vice That Binds Bicep Leash. It is well made and built like no other leash I have ever used. It's $30, but after you snap and replace a few of the cheap leashes it evens out. Plus they come in sizes, and is one of the few that fit me over a winter suit.

Bob B at Atlantic Bodyboards can hook you up. www.atlanticbodyboards.com

oh yeah for sure! i love becept leashes! (coil) dont have to worry about it at all, like its not even there. its great