LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board Size?

Board Size?

Little help...I am ready to buy a board, need a little recommendation. 6-2, 200lbs, surfed a few times on a long board, but want something that will be versatile. It will be used mainly eastcoast, I'm a beginner, BUT want something that will progress/grow w/ me (i snowboard/skate/ride everthing...) and I am a quick study. Thanks in advance for any advice. Casey

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyc735 View Post
    Little help...I am ready to buy a board, need a little recommendation. 6-2, 200lbs, surfed a few times on a long board, but want something that will be versatile. It will be used mainly eastcoast, I'm a beginner, BUT want something that will progress/grow w/ me (i snowboard/skate/ride everthing...) and I am a quick study. Thanks in advance for any advice. Casey
    In term of your skill level and the type of surf that we mainly see, the longboard is the most versatile thing you can have. Don't get caught in the "fun board" trap, because once you get good enough, you will have limited turning capabilities compared to a shortboard, AND you'll have next to no nose-riding capabilities compared to a longboard. And seeing as the surf around here mostly entails the use of a longboard, it would be wiser to get a longboard because you can "grow" into longboards. However, you can't really get any better on a medium-sized board. Trust me, I have an eight-footer from when I learned to surf, and I really want to nose ride it. It's really hard, but I still try... it's BARELY noserideable. I wish I had a log. And even if you do want to go with shortboards, longboards are still REALLY GOOD to have in your quiver. Whenever I surf my longboard, my shortboard feels so much more alive. Of course, it's tough at first to switch between boards with that much of a difference, but once you are at that level to be able to ride any board you feel like, it makes surfing that much more fun. it's good to have a diverse quiver, especially on the east coast.

3. i'm 6'3 200 pounds...1st board was a 6'4 seven superfish or something like that....since u've got experience on a long board u could prolly go shorter...now that i've been riding awhile my favorite board is a 6'0 Smells like Fish from Gary Wilson, rides like a skateboard since you're used to boarding i'd recommend something like that.....

Thanks for the feedback...

get a board that isn't too thick or too wide for you. I'd say a 5'11- 6'5 should do you good. I like my boards really loose and skatey, but I have happy feet.

Stay true to your ability

Man,
    if you have only surfed a long board a few times, do not go down to a 5'11 or anywhere close. Do not get over confident in your ability. If you are a beginning surfer, foam, width, and the length of the rail line (which adds stability), are all your friend. You want your board to be stable for you to get used to paddling, popping up, and standing really. After you feel comfortable with those things, you can always go down in size. If you get the wrong board, not only will you be miserable, but your confidence will go down. If this is your first board, I would suggest not putting a lot of money into it. Find something used that is longer and more stable, then either trade it in, sell it, or find someone to trade. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Any type of fish shape is good for ec surf. I've got 2 (a retro that is an inch shorter than me and a quad fish) and they are a blast

5'11" is a terrible, terrible idea for this guy. Go bigger, get a fish, or get a longboard, and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    5'11" is a terrible, terrible idea for this guy. Go bigger, get a fish, or get a longboard, and be happy.
    RIGHT
    do not go down to a 5'11 or anywhere clos
    RIGHT
    Any type of fish shape is good for ec surf
    RIGHT
    get a board that isn't too thick or too wide for you
    WRONG

In this case foam is deffinately your friend. The best way to maximize flotation with optimum maneuverability is to stay go wider, thicker, shorter. In this case maneuverability probably isn't a priority though, so I'd say go with a good fun board-esque shape until you get the basics down, then sell it after a summer and down size.

Images
    Get a fish.... I'm 6'1 200 and ride all shapes of boards. If you want to go shorter get a fish 6'4 to 6'8, 20 to 21" and 2.5 to 2.75 thick will be plenty to float your weight. Only day you cant ride a fish is on a log only day. As far as not growing on a shortboard????? You grow on any shape every time you surf if you have the determination to do so! Talk to a shaper and get a custom ... They will guide you in the right board set up for you!