LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Over Forecasting

Why has the site been calling it like 3 feet than it is lately? It said waist to chest i went to check it its about knee high. I feel like this has been happening alot when i'm relying on the site.

It varies from spot to spot. You never really know until you go.

Give it a rest. So what.....1 missed call out of 1004840304i4834038430583058iiiii

swell angle, tide and wind arent right for your spot. Explore

Quote Originally Posted by wontonwonton View Post
    Give it a rest. So what.....1 missed call out of 1004840304i4834038430583058iiiii
    I disagree. I have been disappointed by the forecasted-to-actual a lot lately. Maybe it has something to do with the season?

Images
    In defense of this site, it is REALLY hard to use mathmatical caluclations and tons of raw data from wind and Buoys etc and have a completely accurate system... I ran a site much much smaller than this, but i was the same idea. Live surf forecasting, a forum and image galleries, but it was all San Diego based. And after about 3 years, I shut it down, because the more I expanded, the less accurate my data became...

The bottom line is this: Accurate forecating and reporting needs to involve actual eyes on the surf. Web cams dont even do it justice. And as data changes minute to minutes, its REALLY hard to get thousands of variables adjusted and corrected. So, for those of you who live in OC MD, jersey shore and the more populated surf town, there are daily REPORTS all over that have actual humans checking it out....

Thats why my old school hard core surf buddies are all anti webcam anti forecasting blah blah. They look at it as an art form. And they are MUCH smarted about how the surf is going to pan out than a computer ever is....

Im just saying, there is no way to get this thing perfect... Thats life.... There are 1000 spots all over the east coast and they all take different angles, tides, winds etc... so its is a HUGE generalization when you are talking about "Forecasting"

Its like the famous last words of every surfline report in CA... Its goes like this...

"3-4 feet", clean and fair conditions... Chest high sets are the norm, while more exposed standout spots are seeing Head High to one foot over head"...

And that is the report for 80 miles of SD coastline. They dont tell you which beaches are "BETTER EXPOSED" that day or anything. They just say that if you end up at the right beach, it will be head high, and if you are at the wrong beach, its chest high...

They do it every day... "Better Exposed spots"... So it leaves the locals with a game of cat and mouse with swell angles etc....

No one does it perfectly... Surfline in my neighborhood is usually spot on. Like, to a T... They were flawless like all winter long... And 2 days ago, I go to the OB pier at about 7:30am and surfline says that "The swell has dropped and we are seeing waves in the 2-3 foot range"... So, I grab my 5"11 shortboard and head down... I get there and start to paddle out, and suddenly, Im taking 5-6 foot set waves on the dome.... I had an ok session, but I needed like 2 more inches of board... And It made my day much harder than it should have been... So even when a guy stands on the beach and writes the report, they can still be wrong....

But let me tell you, 5-6 feet and 2-3 are a WORLD apart...

There is no way to be accurate... Just deal with it I guess. Thats is why I live by the beach... If the report was wrong, I just drive down the coast until something looks right.

forcast says chest high for my area ... just cheacked out 4 beaches all ankle slappers

not to mention conditions can vary drastically 6 am check, flat-knee and 8 am same spot its chest-high

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    In defense of this site, it is REALLY hard to use mathmatical caluclations and tons of raw data from wind and Buoys etc and have a completely accurate system... I ran a site much much smaller than this, but i was the same idea. Live surf forecasting, a forum and image galleries, but it was all San Diego based. And after about 3 years, I shut it down, because the more I expanded, the less accurate my data became...

The bottom line is this: Accurate forecating and reporting needs to involve actual eyes on the surf. Web cams dont even do it justice. And as data changes minute to minutes, its REALLY hard to get thousands of variables adjusted and corrected. So, for those of you who live in OC MD, jersey shore and the more populated surf town, there are daily REPORTS all over that have actual humans checking it out....

Thats why my old school hard core surf buddies are all anti webcam anti forecasting blah blah. They look at it as an art form. And they are MUCH smarted about how the surf is going to pan out than a computer ever is....

Im just saying, there is no way to get this thing perfect... Thats life.... There are 1000 spots all over the east coast and they all take different angles, tides, winds etc... so its is a HUGE generalization when you are talking about "Forecasting"

Its like the famous last words of every surfline report in CA... Its goes like this...

"3-4 feet", clean and fair conditions... Chest high sets are the norm, while more exposed standout spots are seeing Head High to one foot over head"...

And that is the report for 80 miles of SD coastline. They dont tell you which beaches are "BETTER EXPOSED" that day or anything. They just say that if you end up at the right beach, it will be head high, and if you are at the wrong beach, its chest high...

They do it every day... "Better Exposed spots"... So it leaves the locals with a game of cat and mouse with swell angles etc....

No one does it perfectly... Surfline in my neighborhood is usually spot on. Like, to a T... They were flawless like all winter long... And 2 days ago, I go to the OB pier at about 7:30am and surfline says that "The swell has dropped and we are seeing waves in the 2-3 foot range"... So, I grab my 5"11 shortboard and head down... I get there and start to paddle out, and suddenly, Im taking 5-6 foot set waves on the dome.... I had an ok session, but I needed like 2 more inches of board... And It made my day much harder than it should have been... So even when a guy stands on the beach and writes the report, they can still be wrong....

But let me tell you, 5-6 feet and 2-3 are a WORLD apart...

There is no way to be accurate... Just deal with it I guess. Thats is why I live by the beach... If the report was wrong, I just drive down the coast until something looks right.
    im gonna agree with zach. you just have to look around at different beaches and on your own beach adventure around.

Images
    I was waiting to see a post like this to see wether it was just me or not. It said head today and it was knee to waist. Not complaining, but more of wondering what has changed.