LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: North OC MD

Matt

I will be going down to pick up a new board from ashton in a few weeks if you want to ride along.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steelwave42 View Post
    Exactly.

It seems like the year before replenishment is always better for solid bars here and there uptown that will work with some sort of consistency. Look at my shots and you'll see that from this past winter it was lining up alright.

And from my understanding midtown pumps a little bit more because of the reefs that channel the flow in, combined with the jetty setup.

I will say that after these last few swells there are several bars that are working well with a south flow, so get up on the dunes or in condos if possible to get some kind of view on what's going on.
    I was with you until you said reef. Now I am lost.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    I was with you until you said reef. Now I am lost.
    Reefs? Hmm im lost also on that one. Maybe rock bottom reef's I'm not aware of any natural reefs in OC.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by h20man View Post
    There used to be a great wave for awhile at the line. Broke really good up until a few years ago after the major replenishment. It would get fairly crowded there too although not nearly as bad as 48th. Spots in OC are really kinda silly. Besides the inlet for the obvious jetty, 48th street for its jettys and unique bottom there really are no spots, just sand bars scattered along the coast that are ever changing.
    Yeah...the problem with uptown is they have been pumping Delaware sand on the beach from 70th north and OC Inlet shoal sand on the beach from 70th south for the last 20 years. The Inlet shoal sand is finer grained and forms bars. The Fenwick sand is coarser grained and produces the steeper bottom shore pound weve all come to hate.

that said, uptown sure has its days..i really think when its ON its better than mid town. If only it were consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanCitySurfReport View Post
    Reefs? Hmm im lost also on that one. Maybe rock bottom reef's I'm not aware of any natural reefs in OC.
    Not natural reefs, the ones I'm talking about are really far offshore fishing "reefs" which consist of basically tires and trash to my understanding... same idea as all those boxcars that got dropped in last year or the year before. There was a conversation about it on here a few years ago I think where it's effect on the midtown break was discussed.

Images
    Not natural reefs, the ones I'm talking about are really far offshore fishing "reefs" which consist of basically tires and trash to my understanding... same idea as all those boxcars that got dropped in last year or the year before. There was a conversation about it on here a few years ago I think where it's effect on the midtown break was discussed.
    Wow, thats nasty. I would love to hear more about this. They dropped actual boxcars and tires into the ocean off the coast? That sounds pretty insane.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Matt

I will be going down to pick up a new board from ashton in a few weeks if you want to ride along.
    yeah that would be kool let me know

I surf uptown a lot. It has been very good the past few winters. People tend to think that its not that good but on high tide if you want to get some big wide open barrels uptown is the place to go. Not to mention the wind block the condos give. Last few weeks when it has been blowing ofshore 20 you go uptown and the condos block the wind and it gets very good. Hardly ever a soul out. Yes there are plenty of closeouts but i LOVE getting barelled and it can just get really heavy up there. Also if you know the spot where the beach takes a slight turn, on a south swell lines just peel.

I do recall hearing about NYC rail cars being dropped off the coast some years ago, man thats epic im scuba cert. i need to find my way out to one of these reefs

Images

Uptown secret spot

Gary Ferguson and I used to surf quality unpopulated waves at Vandiver Avenue uptown, but as Ocean City grew, they changed all the names to numbers. Anyone got an old map handy?

The fishing reefs were made by dumping old NYC subway cars. They were cleaned and stripped, but they were from NYC afterall, so how clean could they have really been?

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/p...08/051608.html
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Apr 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM.