LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Save cape hatteras

Parts of the outer banks may be closed off, some of the best places to surf on the east coast!

Don't know if anyone has seen this surfline article, but just send your name and hometown to SaveCapeHatteras@realwatersports.com

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/sa...atteras_25228/

Dude, that Surfline article is more than a year old.

yea, this is old news. a better website for keeping up to date w/ this situation is islandfreepress.org. this will keep you in the know w/ everything going on down there. pretty much BS if you ask me. i'm all for protecting the environment, but cape hatteras was set up as a national park & recreation area, not just a refuge.

Images
    this has been going on for awhile and just gonna get worse and don't just sign a petitions join the OBPA which does alot and needs support or attend a meeting.

google earth map on whats closed is here http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisi...leearthmap.htm its updated alot

Quote Originally Posted by epidemicepic View Post
    Dude, that Surfline article is more than a year old.
    It doesnt really make the issue less important though. Right? The extrmeist stance that these "environmental" organizations are taking is just plain wrong. They are using Cape Hatteras situation to gain a foothold for these extreme resouce protections so that they can be incorporated everywhere. If the cape hatteras situation doenst afffect you now what comes out of it certainly will.

How would the folks along NJ and NY coast like roughly 1 mile of beach closed for months because of one bird nest? Then when that closure is lifted because the birds have finished with it imagine it becoming inaccessable because the turtles have decided to make a nest or two..

And if the best breaking bar on the island is within that closure what good is it if you cant walk/drive to it. I guess you could paddle 1000 yards or so to it but dont come ashore without risking fines/jailtime
    Last edited by GCoop; Apr 6, 2010 at 06:30 PM.

what is surfrider's position on this I wonder. anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    what is surfrider's position on this I wonder. anybody know?
    The policy statement and issue is not prominent on the Outer Banks Chapter home page - much of the info is kinda old actually. However, the Surfrider Foundation State of the Beach Report for North Carolina, in the Beach Access section, there is a chapter statement and March 2010 update (search for "The National Park Service (NPS) is currently undertaking a process"). Start here: http://www.surfrider.org/stateoftheb...tate=nc&cat=ba

such a good bar got closed off 2 days ago. it got so heavy at times. heres a video of it during the last swell.

Video By Matt Lusk Photo
    Last edited by The Crumolator; Apr 7, 2010 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GCoop View Post

And if the best breaking bar on the island is within that closure what good is it if you cant walk/drive to it. I guess you could paddle 1000 yards or so to it but dont come ashore without risking fines/jailtime
    My friends dad was kite-boarding down the beach and his kite got messed up somehow and he had to go in. since they were doing a down winder he was in the middle of nowhere and couldn't tell that it was a bird closure zone.(they are miles long)

while he was walking down the beach a park service truck was DRIVING through the "closed zone" and saw him and gave him a huge fine.(even though he probably would have drowned if tried to swim down the beach)

Images
    I am a Surfrider member and I see nothing wrong with closing portions of the beach for it's original inhabitants. Humans don't need to be driving up and down all over the place in their big 4x4's rutting up the beach. I've seen the way they drive up and down Frisco beach just to get to the point or just to "check". There's less than 10 miles of red zones on that map. There's plenty of other beach to go to.