LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Airline board fees

How much does it costy these days to travel with your boards?

most are 100 dollars PER board each way.

even if the two boards are in one bag its a hundred for BOTH. I remeber in 2002 when it was like 75$ per bag both ways. That blows.

yep. i just canceled a CR trip because the board fees were more than the airfare and i refuse to rent. there are a few airlines that charge per bag so you have to do your homework.

be nice!!

i have traveled with my boards quite a bit, and i find that if you are extra nice to the ticket lady (or man), you stand a pretty decent chance of a reduced fee, or even a freebie here and there. remember those people deal with jerks all day long, so if you can make them smile, they'll really appreciate it and generally go out of their way to hook you up. as for the "two boards in one bag", a little white lie never hurt anybody. if they ask (and they're not a d-bag), they probably already see that you've got more than one and are hoping you say it's just one so they can claim ignorance if the manager questions them. of course, sometimes you just take it up the tailpipe with airlines like United (they've screwed me countless times). If traveling in the US, go Southwest all the way. I've traveled with 3 boards through them and never paid more than 60 bucks, and it was free about 25% of the time. at the very least, print out the fees from the website in case they try to over-charge.

Red face

dang... if your getting charged much more than a hundred one way your doing something wrong. Just got back from san diego. I had two shortboards in my 6'6 bag and my friend had one in his huge 9 foot longboard coffin. I just threw my board bag inside of his and we got charged on continental for 35 one way. Thats $17.50 for each of us, a pretty good deal. Just gotta mingle with the airport people. Then on the way back to norfolk, one of the guys said itd be 100 dollars for each bag with 2 or less boards but 200dollars if you had 3 boards and 400 if you had 4+ boards. Well, he saw we had three boards so we just went to the kiosk next to him 5 minutes later and that guy only charged us the $100 for 2 boards. He said good thing we didnt have three because it'd be 200 dollars instead. hahah that made me WEAK. especially cause he saw me put my board bag inside of my friends...
    So yeah round trip two boards i payed $67.50, thats a good deal. flew continental and us air
    Last edited by Xtreme*Liquidshredda; Apr 2, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

continental!

yea continental! forgot to mention them. i met up with friends in san diego and flew down to costa rica with this massive coffin. i think we stuffed 3 boards and spear-fishing gear in it, and the cute indian chick was like "just one board right?" and gave us a "wink". turns out it should have been like 200 bucks, but she made it happen for 60 or 70. good people.
    i need to emphasize again though....avoid United!!! it wasn't just one bad experience with them either, but at least 4 or 5 times before i swore to myself i would never by a ticket from those kooks ever again.

agreed that it can vary with the counter person but i'd prefer not to chance it and get there and get the one guy who's wife wouldn't give it up the night before.

I traveled to florida with 2 boards in my bag and it cost 75 bucks......this was spirit airlines though and it was only like a month ago