LOGIN | REGISTER

Board Recommendation

Hey Im just trying to get advice on which board I should get next. I surf mainly the east coast so I want a board that corresponds to that. Right now I ride a 5'6 Lost Rocket most the time. I just need another board when the surf gets a little bigger. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Images
    c.i. flyer 2. good all around board.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DEwaverider View Post
    Hey Im just trying to get advice on which board I should get next. I surf mainly the east coast so I want a board that corresponds to that. Right now I ride a 5'6 Lost Rocket most the time. I just need another board when the surf gets a little bigger. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Yeah, that is a really fun small wave board. For bigger mid atlantic surf, I would recommend something at least 6 feet or longer. I am 5'9 and use a 6'2 in HH+ surf usually and surf down to a 5'7 fish. I think a 6-2 or 6-3 with a rounded or pin tail is best for larger, beach break surf. You want enough length to get in early and enough foam to get speed quickly. In those conditions you are usually trying to line up and race out of barrels, so a longer, more narrow (obviously) is what I like... In beach break surf. Some wider, shorter boards work in large conditions, but not usually very well where you will be surfing. imo.

Get with Jon Ashton and he'll build you exactly what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Get with Jon Ashton and he'll build you exactly what you need.
    Hey Pump, I always thought you bought Channel islands off the rack?

Hey pumpmaster, how do i get in touch with Jon Ashton

go to ashtonsurfboards.com and jon's contact info should be on the site.

Alright I'll shoot him an email. How do his shortboards preform for waves around here

[QUOTE=zach619;61979]You want enough length to get in early and enough foam to get speed quickly.

Question is, how much foam? I'm dealing with same, trying to get dimensions right for winter board that will give me good paddling ability to get in early and enough length. I'm 5"8 and pretty much ride a 5"11 fish year round but need to add to my quiver.

I have a dan taylor 6"5 18 3/4 and 2 1/4, and got it because a couple years ago I started in a fun shape 7"0 so I didnt want to get something too short. But the 6'5 I think is too big for me #1, and 2, not enough foam.

So, I think maybe a 6"1 or 6'2 18 3/4, 2 1/2 or maybe even little thicker would be best suited for me since I can only surf 1 or 2 times a week.