LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    3,781
    Images
    26

    Surline has been WAAAY off.

    So, usually my area is pretty easy to predict. Even in the winter, its pretty easy to get within a foot of what the surf height will be even 5-6 days out.

    The past 4 days, surfline's forecast has been garbage. It has said knee to waist for 3 straight days... For the past 3 days, I have gone down to the end of my street to hit the beach break, only to see 6 foot closeout walls and no one out. 1-2 feet overhead... So i have just driven down to the reefs each day.. So i got to the waves I wanted to, but Surfline, Souther California's most used site has been 3-4 feet off. I mean, KNEE HIGH>>???? AND ITS 2 FEET OVERHEAD!!! Im not complained, but come on....

    So, my point is that a bunch of guys were ripping on a few strange forecasts from swellinfo.com last week, the free site that is usually spot on where you guys live... And the Multi-Million Dollar pay forecast monopoly can't forecast San Diego even the day before?>??? they were wrong 3 straight days on the forecast... The reports were right, but the forecasts were horrible...

    I wonder what the variables are that have been throwing off these forecasting systems all over. Strange.

    But just making sure all the people that were complaining about 1 bad forecast... EVERYONE has bad forecasts...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CAPE MAY ,NJ
    Posts
    2,894
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    So, usually my area is pretty easy to predict. Even in the winter, its pretty easy to get within a foot of what the surf height will be even 5-6 days out.

    The past 4 days, surfline's forecast has been garbage. It has said knee to waist for 3 straight days... For the past 3 days, I have gone down to the end of my street to hit the beach break, only to see 6 foot closeout walls and no one out. 1-2 feet overhead... So i have just driven down to the reefs each day.. So i got to the waves I wanted to, but Surfline, Souther California's most used site has been 3-4 feet off. I mean, KNEE HIGH>>???? AND ITS 2 FEET OVERHEAD!!! Im not complained, but come on....

    So, my point is that a bunch of guys were ripping on a few strange forecasts from swellinfo.com last week, the free site that is usually spot on where you guys live... And the Multi-Million Dollar pay forecast monopoly can't forecast San Diego even the day before?>??? they were wrong 3 straight days on the forecast... The reports were right, but the forecasts were horrible...

    I wonder what the variables are that have been throwing off these forecasting systems all over. Strange.

    But just making sure all the people that were complaining about 1 bad forecast... EVERYONE has bad forecasts...
    Yeah thats what I am getting at . Some people take it for granted that this site is Free and someone it taking time out of there life to run this site for other people to enjoy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    VB/OBX
    Posts
    159
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Yeah thats what I am getting at . Some people take it for granted that this site is Free and someone it taking time out of there life to run this site for other people to enjoy.
    thats right on. well said

  4. #4
    Free use does not equal zero profit.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CAPE MAY ,NJ
    Posts
    2,894
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by epidemicepic View Post
    Free use does not equal zero profit.
    Yeah and your point is what?????

    Do you pay to use this site ???? Have you Donated and cash to keep the site running???

    Probally not so how do you keep a site like this running well you have people put add on the header and on the side of the page. The ones everyone who cries about them are the same ones that cry about the forcast being down.

    So what if Swellinfo makes a profit of the adds on the page does it affect you bank account ??? Does it take Food of your plate???? I think people should stop crying about a free site that someone has set up out of the kindness of there heart and learn how the seas and weather work before they cry like a bunch of limp wrist nancey boy cause the sites forcast was off and they blew a sick day on surfing BOOO F"N HOOO

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Yeah and your point is what?????

    Do you pay to use this site ???? Have you Donated and cash to keep the site running???

    Probally not so how do you keep a site like this running well you have people put add on the header and on the side of the page. The ones everyone who cries about them are the same ones that cry about the forcast being down.

    So what if Swellinfo makes a profit of the adds on the page does it affect you bank account ??? Does it take Food of your plate???? I think people should stop crying about a free site that someone has set up out of the kindness of there heart and learn how the seas and weather work before they cry like a bunch of limp wrist nancey boy cause the sites forcast was off and they blew a sick day on surfing BOOO F"N HOOO
    Chill the hell out man, im not ripping on swellinfo, this site is awesome and it SHOULD make a profit.

    My point was just that people assume this is some sort of charity for surfers or something, which is a backwards way of looking at things. People provide services to make a profit, and the fact that this site can run free of charge is a testament to how many people must use it.

  7. #7
    surfline is off sometimes. i really don't use it for reports. sometimes i look on the cams though, but i have found better cams. the surfers view has better cams that stream for like two or three minutes straight. surfline is all slow motion, and isn't even live usually like the surfers view, but surfers view only shows jersey cams, and aside from ocean city, casino pier, and manasquan inlet most of the cams in there are in spots that don't break well, and you hardly ever see anyone out except at those three spots. surfline is way off wit water temperature too. i think i read manasquan ocean temperature today was like 42-45. no way! i mean maybe it's not 53 quite yet, but lower to mid 40s? if it's still 42 now with as mild as this spring has been compared to the last three than the ocean wouldn't even exceed 62 in august.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Posts
    544
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    So, usually my area is pretty easy to predict. Even in the winter, its pretty easy to get within a foot of what the surf height will be even 5-6 days out.

    The past 4 days, surfline's forecast has been garbage. It has said knee to waist for 3 straight days... For the past 3 days, I have gone down to the end of my street to hit the beach break, only to see 6 foot closeout walls and no one out. 1-2 feet overhead... So i have just driven down to the reefs each day.. So i got to the waves I wanted to, but Surfline, Souther California's most used site has been 3-4 feet off. I mean, KNEE HIGH>>???? AND ITS 2 FEET OVERHEAD!!! Im not complained, but come on....

    So, my point is that a bunch of guys were ripping on a few strange forecasts from swellinfo.com last week, the free site that is usually spot on where you guys live... And the Multi-Million Dollar pay forecast monopoly can't forecast San Diego even the day before?>??? they were wrong 3 straight days on the forecast... The reports were right, but the forecasts were horrible...

    I wonder what the variables are that have been throwing off these forecasting systems all over. Strange.

    But just making sure all the people that were complaining about 1 bad forecast... EVERYONE has bad forecasts...


    Quit your belly aching son....we haven't had solid waves here in a long time. Last thing i wanna read is some dude from the west coast complaining about waves and forecasts!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Davy Jones' Locker
    Posts
    1,385
    Images
    64

    Thumbs down

    Are we seriously STILL talking about this? I'm tired of hearing oh this site is free. this site this...this site that....BLAH BLAH BLAH. Get off the admins **** already Who ****ing cares. I for one am tired of reading these stupid ass posts. Frankly, I do not need this site in any shape or form....I have eyes....I only use this out of boredom....As of lately...this site has gone to ****. And, I'm not talking about the reports...they are what they are...Where's all the oldschool members? I remember when this site used to be fun. Now it's just a express your feelings forum...WHAAA WHAAA.

    This site needs new moderators...ones that can actually moderate this site. This place is out of control.

    with that being said LET THE FLAMES BEGIN. And I could really care less if anyone has a problem with my post.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    the only thing i like about surfline is their wipeouts video.