LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beach Badges

Thumbs down Beach Badges

Anyone pay for a badge?Just found out my beach is charging $90 for a season pass this summer.Usually I sneak in an early session without buying a badge and the guards leave me alone.Kind of sad when alot of other beaches in other states don't even charge you for a badge.

heh?

please forgive my ignorance, but what the f#$% is a beach badge?

most beaches let you on free with a surfboard..... i never pay for the beach **** that..im there all year round i refuse to pay.. let the bennys pay

so...

so you have to pay to go in the ocean? wtf?! can't believe i didn't know about this. civil disobedience man, f that noise. seriously that's some hammer and sickle bullsh!t. i'm getting pissed just thinking about it lol. i'm guessing this is a jersey thing (never surfed up there)? sorry you guys gotta deal with that. what would they do if you just told 'em to f@#$ off? just curious. lifeguards are bad enough, this is just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by live aloha View Post
    so you have to pay to go in the ocean? wtf?! can't believe i didn't know about this. civil disobedience man, f that noise. seriously that's some hammer and sickle bullsh!t. i'm getting pissed just thinking about it lol. i'm guessing this is a jersey thing (never surfed up there)? sorry you guys gotta deal with that. what would they do if you just told 'em to f@#$ off? just curious. lifeguards are bad enough, this is just crazy.
    you can be arrested in many (most) towns for belligerent non-compliance. it's a law, unfortunately. luckily, the law only applies to the section of the beach west of the mean high-tide line. below that is public land & they can't charge you to be there, nor can they require you to have a badge to access that portion of public lands. it belongs to everyone. (the sad drawback of this is that the hitler youth badge checkers don't know this...i have seen them chase people into the water to check for a badge).
    while tags are required after age 12 in ocnj, i have never once bought a beach tag in my life. i see this ending either this summer or in subsequent seasons, tho. having summers mostly off now, i am spending significantly more time on the beach than in previous years. taking a stand just isn't worth the attendant hassle anymore. i go to the beach to relax & read a book, not argue w/ 12 year olds. that's what the internet is for.

Well said

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i go to the beach to relax & read a book, not argue w/ 12 year olds. that's what the internet is for.
    Well put sir! I guess you're right about the 'it's not worth it" part, but it still irks me. That one glorious year in NorCal spoiled me. No lifeguards. No rules. But if you screw up, you're on your own...kinda the way it should be in my dream world.

how long does "badge" season last? Does it go from Memorial Day through Labor day?

Images

Hating life

It must really suck to be a Jersey dweller- No badges here, in MD, but at the rate things are going it probably won't be long before some councilman gets that brilliant idea.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    how long does "badge" season last? Does it go from Memorial Day through Labor day?
    i believe so

I hate the beach. Love the water... hate the beach. To me, it's just an annoying stretch of sand between the parking lot and the surf. I'm not a "beachgoer" or a "sunbather." And I'm not bashing anyone who is. The town needs the revenue. But my attitude is, don't make me buy a beach badge because I have to cross the beach to get to the water... to fish or surf. I've usually been able to explain this to the tag checkers, and haven't had a problem. I'm not lugging a chair, umbrella and cooler, so it's obvious nobody will give the tag checker a hard time because I'm sitting on the beach without a tag. But there are those instances where I've been stopped. In those cases, I just kindly walk away and find someplace just down the beach where I can do my civil disobedience and sneak on. Nobody chases you... they don't want to put out the effort.