LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: down time

I play with my motorcycles, play the guitar, work on my fishtanks, and get fat .

If im not surfing, its just hanging at the beach or striper fishing.This fall im going to get certified for scuba.Last few weeks with no waves its another option.Outside of that I like working on my truck,photography,and running.
    Last edited by GoodVibes; May 16, 2010 at 01:27 PM.

stand on the indo board and read/play video games haha. mind numbing but still cross training. i also skate as much as possible. gotta keep going sideways

spear da fish

Back in HI I really got into spearfishing. It's an amazing workout and loads of fun, probably the most challenging sport I've ever tried. Or just snorkling/freediving. When I moved back to the east coast a few years back I decided to try spearfishing in South Carolina and ended up getting stung by like 15 jellyfish, one of which I'm confident was something nastier than the average jelly since it wrapped around my calf and left these gnarly scars for almost six months. Ouch. Haven't tried again since.

These days I do a lot of running on the beach and lifting to stay strong. The ocean swim is something else that I've found does not work well from late December to April. The water's just way too cold for me. I just instantly get the ice cream headache when I put my face under anything below 50 degrees. All in all, I'd have to say I abandon the ocean during the dead of winter, unless the waves get good. Bike riding is a lot of fun in OCMD, especially on the boardwalk. Not so much fun on Shore Drive in VA Beach because people drive like f#$%ing a$$holes and I always feel like I'm going to get run over.

Anybody here do yoga? I still haven't tried, but a lot of my non-surfing friends swear by it, and I've heard a lot of the pro's do it.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    during the summer if theres some sort of surf ill be out. but when there is no surf i will either be out on my friends boat wakeboarding or freeboarding, and if his boat is not in the water than ill swim or just hang out with friends.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by live aloha View Post

Anybody here do yoga? I still haven't tried, but a lot of my non-surfing friends swear by it, and I've heard a lot of the pro's do it.

I bought the Yoga for Surfers DVD in my local shop a fe years ago because some of my surfing friends all told me how it worked worders for their felxability in the water etc... So I got the first DVD and did it for about a week. It really did help me, even in that brief week. Maybe it was just in my head, but I was able to keep my center of gravity a little lower as I surfed which help my balance during tail whips and changes of direction... But after that week, I got kind of bored with it. It took about 30 minutes to do the yoga workout... So basically I would get up, put the DVD in for a pre-surf Yoga session and about 2 minutes into I would just think "Fu** this, Im just going surfing"... I have ADD though and its tough for me to sit focusing on boring sh** and although Yoga is great for the body, it SUPER boring. Just sitting there holding stretches and stuff....

Then people were like, well you should go to Yoga classes, you need an instructor... And I will be gosh dam*ed before you will catch me up in some yoga class looking like a gay hippy... So, anyway, Yoga is great for the body, but I havent been able to stick with it... Then again, I dont even stretch on the beach before I surf, I basically sprint across the sand and paddle out like 100MPH.... So, yoga works for the body, but its not for everyone.

I Mountain Bike when im able to which is alot of fun. I also wakeboard alot when its flat and of course skating.

Images
    i usually skate the bowl at the long branch skatepark, if anyone's ever been there im the kid who goes really fast and i like to play guitar

Quote Originally Posted by live aloha View Post
    When you get into a routine of doing yoga daily it is alot like riding waves... the buzz it leaves you with afterward is very similar. Just be careful if you have any disc injuries because many of the poses put alot of pressure on the spine. It keeps you so loose though, and when you get into advanced poses it is amazing. Does wonders for the mind. Try it everyday for awhile, it really does steady the mind and give you balance.

And to Zach, photography is what keeps me near the water when there aren't any waves.

fortunately for me i'm at a point in my life where it's very easy to keep from becoming bored. in fact i feel there aren't enough hours in a day most times. obviously like most of us i spend some time working, but probably not as much as most haha. i have my own business, and i try to fill in a little personal quota for myself every quarter. i try to do MOST of my work during the end of the first, and beginning of the second quarters of each year. right now i'm working anywhere from 25-35 hours a week, and sometimes i wish i could get less work, but i never know when business might become slow. other than that i spend a lot of time with my soon to be wife, i ride the wave runner, i am into motocross, and try to ride as much as i can. there aren't as many places to ride without getting ticketed anymore. work on my stangs, go to yankees, and devils games, and hang out with friends.

i find myself doing a lot of work, and like i said i try to stay busiest between march, and june. that way i have more free time in the summer, and more free time during the seasons that produce good swell. my girl, and i sat on the beach saturday all afternoon. put my feet in the water, and it's still too cold. i was hoping my next session i could go bootless, but that probably won't happen just yet considering the cold is more brutal to my feet in particular than anywhere else. i could go in with trunks, and still have boots haha.

and i should add i love being by the ocean. a lot in the winter, and late fall i will sit up by the beach, and drink a hot chocolate, and just enjoy my surroundings. obviously that's when it's fall or unrideable cause then obviously i would be in the water!
    Last edited by eatswell; May 17, 2010 at 04:01 AM.